Game Set Match

I felt my heart thump against my chest once the room fell into silence.

'Do you want to play a game?'

What did that even mean. Samantha just stared at me with an evil glint in her eye seeing the reaction she got from the class. Rue and the boys were glaring daggers at Samantha, if looks could kill I swear they'd have to bury here five times for each of there gazes. Obviously I was missing something here, I'm not surprised, I'm new. Samantha found the perfect new play thing, and her 'game' didn't sound pleasant. Everyone was at the edge of there seat, waiting for my answer, yearning for my demise. I wasn't scared though, I was gonna die soon. Of course I couldn't just come out and say that. I wasn't a stranger to bullying, and pain was an old friend of mine so I guess there's nothing to be afraid of. At this conclusion I relaxed, I felt my shoulders slump and my expression soften. Samantha wasn't expecting this, her face held confusion but she flipped her hair and erased it instantly.

I had come to a decision on how I'd respond, all this pondering had gone down in mere seconds after the question had been asked, it felt a lot longer though. I took a deep breath and steadied thundering heart beat. Once calm I spoke.

"No." I said simply.

Shock over comes her spray tanned face, her lips purse and her blue eyes widen in shock. She couldn't even hide her reaction with a decent hair flip.

"W-what?" She stuttered. I liked the reaction I got out of her. Like most snobby, self-centered, rich person, she wasn't accustomed to the word 'no' much. A week ago I wouldn't have dared to stand up, I wouldn't even blink before following her command. But a week ago I hadn't given up, a week ago I hadn't been taken to another level of abuse by my father, a week ago...I hadn't stopped having the will to fight.

Fighting to survive, I wasn't living I was surviving. Just a moving body flowing with others, my mark never to left on the world. Surviving meant keeping my head down, no friends, no love, no happiness. I fought to survive, I didn't know anything else was possible. But meeting the boys showed my not surviving but living. When you lived the world had endless colors, it was always as simple as right or wrong, and people like me got redemption. Living meant no fear, I survived because of fear. I want to live. I want to live. I want to live.

These words chanted in my head. I hadn't changed my mind about killing myself but while I was alive, I wanted to be free. I was tired of being afraid.

"No Samantha. I do not want to play your game." I stated flatly. The shock on her face made me stifle a snicker. Why would I have said yes? She wasn't forcing me to. Did she think because she asked I'd have no choice but to say yes? Her nose flared and anger filled her eyes. It reminded me of my father and I found myself looking away which I hated. She took that opportunity to speak.

"It's adorable how you thought I was asking. Listen I want you to come toy party tomorrow and have a sing off with me." She spat harshly at first but by the end her voice got high pitched, more of a shriek. Was she serious? I wasn't even in a singer major! So basically she wanted someone she knew she could win against so she could humiliate them and boost her ego. That's so cruel, I can't even imagine how many people she used this trick on. Everyone was too afraid to say no because of who she was.

"No." I said with a little bit more of an edge in my voice. She was annoying me now.

"What? You scared you'll lose?" She spat. She flipped her hair two more times trying to regain her confidence in how this conversation would end. I scoffed harshly.

"No. I'm totally positive I'll win against someone who specializes in what we're competing against." I spat with as much sarcasm as I could muster. I saw a few shocked faces from people watching us out of the corner of my eye. I even saw glares from Samantha's minions.