s i x

joey's pov
-2 days later

i was walking to class with my friends. emma was a short distance ahead of us, but i was praying none of them were smart enough to point that out. i am trying my best to prevent anything that is unnecessary to happen.

"joey, emma is right there. why aren't you walking with her?" johnny said. great, one of them was smart enough to point that out. time to cover myself.

"oh wow, i didn't even realize it. i'm totally out of it. i got like no sleep last night." i said, attempting to save it.

"go talk to her shy boi." mark said, elbowing me.

"i'm not shy, i'm just tired." i say annoyed. that just infuriated me. i'm not shy.

"then go up to her brooo." jacob chuckled pushing me.

"i was going anyway." i rolled my eyes and walked towards emma. what's funny is, charles was walking with my friends and i and he had nothing to say. i think he is jealous already.

as i approched her i lightly tapped her arm.

"hey," i spoke quietly.

she turned her head smiling but it faded as soon as she saw me.

"oh it's just you..." she whispered so no one could hear.

-

emma's pov

"oh it's just you..." i whispered so no one could hear. ugh this is just annoying. i hate having to associate myself with joey. it's just embarrassing because all the girls in my grade are obsessed with him and they consider me lucky.

"can i hold your hand? my friends are watching." joey said, signaling to behind us. i turn my head towards them and they're all smirking... except charles, he was just standing there and to be honest he looked kind of annoyed. looks like this plan is going good so far, as torturous as it is.

"i guess i don't have a choice, do i? plus charles is there so yes do it." i responded, mentally preparing myself that i was going to have to hold hands with him.

i look down at our hands as joey slowly interlocks his into mine as i feel my face getting hot. emma don't blush DON'T BLUSH. i quickly look the other way trying to regain my normal skin color. and i know what you're thinking, 'awe she felt something for him!' no. nononono. when someone who doesn't typically hold your hand - especially a freaking boy! - holds your hand, you're probably going to blush. or atleast i know i would. it's called a natural reaction.

his hands are really warm and i don't want to mine to start sweating. like, i could care less what joey thinks about me, but that's still humiliating.

"stop doing that. you're making it awkward." joey said, referring to me and how i keep adjusting my hand.

"well maybe because it is awkward?" i said, pointing out the obvious.

"it's only awkward if you act like it's awkward." joey replied, making no sense.

"honestly i'd rather hold one of those super hot knives youtubers use to cut things with than your hand." i said to him.

"and i'd rather hold a cactus. but let's just deal with it and pretend to like it." he told me.

"ugh whatever." i sighed, continuing to walk with him.

he's right. if we want our plan to work, we have to deal with it and pretend to like each other. 

it's a long road ahead.

-end of chapter
ew cringey chapter. i can't stand how emma is 'embarrassed' to be associated with joey. like boi i would die to be associated with joey the loml okay kms bye :)
- m <3