Training Center

~

I wake up to find I'm still in my costume from the Tribute Parade. I stretch and get myself up. I look into the mirror only to see my hat crooked on my head. I take if off along with the rest of the costume. I put on the training outfit that lays on my dresser. I take one last glance in the mirror, fixing my hair and makeup from last night and walk out. Cato is sitting on the couch, drinking water. When he sees me, he stands up and puts the cup down on the side table.

"Ready?" He asks. I nod and follow him to the door. He is dressed in his training outfit but it's perfectly tight around his giant muscles. My shape is kind of lost in my outfit. I don't have super nice curves or big muscles. We get into the elevator and then are lead to the training center. When Cato opens the door, a wave of sweat-smelling air travels straight through my nostrils. I make a face and continue in. The first tributes I see are District 1. I quickly look away, 12 wasn't here yet. I notice a rack of knives, my eyes lock to them. In a state of awe, I suddenly stop and Cato runs into me.

"Sorry." He mutters and walks past me over to the sword station. I start walking over to the knives when the District 1 girl steps infront of me.

"Hi! I'm Glimmer." She says, I see her gaze float over to Cato at the swords behind me.

"Who's your friend over there?" She bats her eyes at him. I knew it. Just another pretty face looking for a Prince Charming. Well, sorry, Barbie. He's mine.

"He's taken so get over it." I spit out at her and walk past. I'm tired of people using me to get to Cato, my best friend, well, boyfriend? I don't know yet. In District 2, I hung out with him all the time. Girls would ask me to talk to him for them. It's so dang annoying.

"Hey! What's your problem?" Glimmer runs after me. I'm almost to the knives when she steps infront of me again.

"Listen, Barbie, he's taken. Okay?" She shoots me an evil look and walks straight to Cato.

"Hey!" She exclaims as she jumps up to him and grabs his bicep muscle. He looks at her and smiles. What? What does he think he's doing? I think. Clove, calm down. He's not even yours. Who am I kidding? He would never go out with me. But that kiss? That had to mean something. I forget about it and walk to the knives. I grab three and walk onto a podium with three targets. One lights up, I throw a knife at it with aggression. Another one lights up behind me, I throw another knife with even more strength. The last target lights up far away, I throw it with everything I've got, all of my muscles. I take a deep breath and look at my targets. Every knife hit the bullseye. I feel accomplished. I begin to hear clapping, I turn around and see Peeta.

"I would have never guessed that you had that much strength. Where did you get it?" He asks. I look at Cato, he is staring at me. Peeta follows my eyes and they land on Cato. Glimmer is still holding his arm and she is smiling directly at me.

"Oh, I see." Peeta turns back to me and crosses his arms.

"You get used to it." He says and walks off. You get used to it? What the hell does that mean?

"Wait!" I yell and jump off of the knife throwing podium, chasing after him.

"Will you be my ally?" I ask willfully, I even add a smile to my offer.

"Katniss too?" He asks, eyes wide. I nod and try to catch my breath.
"Well, you have pretty sharp skills. So, yes." He smiles and walks away to Katniss, who is looking at a bow and arrow. I look at Cato one last time and go back to throwing. I'm in deep concentration when I hear someone clear their throat behind me. I stop throwing and turn around. It's the boy from 1.

"I'm Marvel, and you are?" He asks. His hair is - muddy brown color and his frame is tall and skinny.

"Clove." I respond.

"Well hello, Clove, my automatic ally." I smile and so does he.

"What is your skill?" I ask.

"Spear, mainly. But I am also skilled at being quite the ladies man." He pulls up his shirt sleeve and flexes his muscles. They're smaller than Cato but still big. I laugh at his flirtation.

"So, will you go out on a date with me?" He asks. He is pretty cute. I hesitate. Is there any chance of me with Cato? I look over to him. He is cutting up dummies with a sword. Then I see Glimmer standing outside of the dummy area clapping and jumping up and down, cheering for Cato. Dang, she looks so stupid.

"Sure." I say with a smile. I know I only agreed to get back at Cato, but I don't know even know his motives with me. What if he's buttering me up before the Game's so I'm soft towards him?

"Cool, so how about you meet me at my floor at around eight?" He asks.

"It's a date." I say smiling really big, almost too big, I just want Cato to notice.

"What's a date?" I turn around to see Cato. He looks excited.

"Me and Clove." Marvel answers, smiling just as big as me.

"Oh." Cato's excitement fades. I'm actually kind of looking forward to tonight. But when I see Cato my heart melts. He has me wrapped around his finger.

"So, you good with swords?" Cato asks Marvel. I know what he's doing. He's gonna cream Marvel. He's just jealous. That thought makes me smile. Cato, the boy everyone wants, is jealous of me.

Marvel nods.

"Practice fight?" Cato asks raising his eyebrows.

"Sure, bro." Marvel picks up a sword and they walk over to the mat. Cato makes the first move, he hits hard. I watch as their swords stop each other's from hitting them. Then Cato does something I wasn't expecting.