Chapter 13 - Her Last Fight

We neared where the screams were echoing from - the river. The Horror camps on the opposite side, so maybe Hawkpaw and Ashfoot got attacked? 

Icepaw got down into a crouch and I copied her, lowering myself to the ground. Can they see me? I can't remember what Streamclaw said anymore! All that sticks to my memory is 'don't talk or you'll both die eternally'. Better safe than sorry, I guess!

Soundlessly, Icepaw stalked toward river. From behind a thick bush we could hear the sound of claws scraping flesh. We rounded a group of thick trees and halted when we caught sight Hawkpaw and Ashfoot attacking each other only whisker-lengths away from the bush we were hiding behind. The young she-cat flexed her claws and her fur bristled up. 

"I figured... These two can't stay away from a fight if their life depended on it!" Icepaw muttered.
In this case, their life does depend on every little thing they do. 

Backing up as quiet as a mouse, Icepaw wrapped her tail around her paws and waited with her claws unsheathed. Her eyes were flooded with unease and impatience. I bet she just wants to get it over with... "We should stay back and wait... I'll kill the last one alive and I'll win..." Icepaw glanced over at me. Touching my nose to her cheek, I gave her a sympathetic gaze.

I don't know... Hawkpaw is pretty strong and bloodthirsty. He'll do anything to win!

As if reading my mind, the apprentice blinked at me with affection. "Don't worry. I'll either be free or I'll be with you for eternity." There was a pang in my chest, and it actually surprised me. Oh, Icepaw! I hope it doesn't come to that... You deserve the freedom. It took everything in me to keep my mouth clamped shut.

Icepaw and I lay down flat on our bellies and waited cautiously for one of them to drop. I narrowed my eyes and concentrated on how they clawed so neatly at each other. I remembered briefly of the training and how their mentors strictly wanted neat claw marks; deep and neat. They'd be attacked if they didn't do it right or do it in time.

Ashfoot hissed at Hawkpaw, dodging a huge blow that was bound to make her fall. Her grey pelt was speckled with pink scratches, dark spots staining where blood had seeped out of her wounds. Hawkpaw had a long gash from his ear to his chin, making his teeth glow pink as he let out a snarl. Ashfoot came back at him by hitting his front legs with one hind leg, making him hit the ground face first. 

Icepaw was watching more carefully through narrowed eyes. Her tail tip twitched on her front paws. "I'm watching to see Hawkpaw's weaknesses. Poor Ashfoot doesn't stand a chance with him," She whispered to me while keeping her eyes locked on the battle. I nodded and kept watching as Ashfoot managed to pin Hawkpaw down. The young tom seemed to be growing tired. I wondered how long they had been battling for. Ashfoot immediately raised her paw, her chest puffing in and out as she panted heavily, to give the final blow. 

Before we could even see what had happened, Hawkpaw let out a triumphant yowl. Cutting deep into Ashfoot's stomach, she let out a terrified shriek. Immense pain and shock was shining in her draining, widened eyes. Hawkpaw pushed her off as her blood began to gush out of the wound and onto Hawkpaw. Her blood was sent flying as she crashed to the ground. It sprayed the plants nearby, some even landing a whisker-length away from Icepaw's paws. Ashfoot let out a whimper and stared off into the distance. The she-cat didn't bother to hold her paws to her wound, only lay there with her flank rising and falling fast, knowing there was no way she would survive such a deep cut.

Blood pooled around her and began to drip from her open jaws. Within moments, her eyes glazed over and her exposed hind leg gave a final twitch. Icepaw... don't pin him down. If you're smart, you'll know not to... I inwardly pleaded and watched through horrified eyes as Hawkpaw kicked dirt over the dead she-cat and lifted his chin to the sky. Is he waiting for Poison to announce he's the winner?