Chapter 5 - Death Match

Howls were haunting us as we curled up in the tree. They wouldn't stop. They didn't seem that far away, which worried us even more. Tension and anxiousness wafted from each one of us in the tree trunk as we listened to their bellows. Every once in a while it would stop, but not for long.

The stench of dog was loomed around every corner. It seeped into the tree and stunk the den, even over the strong sap smell. It was terrible. I felt like my allies were dogs and I was in the middle of them. 

While everyone tried to sleep, I stood up quietly and padded out into the cool night air. The trees' branches blew softly in the wind and the grass swayed peacefully. With the wind howling, it carried the dogs cries closer to me. It felt like they were behind a tree, waiting for me to creep closer and closer until they could attack efficiently. I wasn't sure where they were, but I was determined to find them. Maybe to shut them up... for good.

I padded around the tree trunk but there was no sign of the dogs. Parting my jaws to track their smell, I couldn't find even a trace of dog. I trekked forward, glancing left and then right, trying to find any trail of their scent. Suddenly, the dogs stopped howling. As I waited, frozen, for more than a few heartbeats, I realized they weren't going to start again. The only sound was the wind as it picked up. A shiver rippled down my spine. Silence usually isn't a good thing... I told myself, backing away.

Piercing yellow eyes glowed in the bushes and a deep growl echoed from the darkness. Heart pounding like a bird caught in a trap, I dashed back to the den and waited at the entrance silently. The fur on my shoulders stood on end. The suspense and curiosity coursed through my mind, causing me to tremble. Should I have loured them away? Will they follow my trail and attack us all? Would they even be able to get into the den?

None of us were in shape to fight dogs. Especially a whole pack of them. We were all exhausted and in need of prey.

"Loudbelly, wake up." I ordered in a whisper voice. As I spoke, my eyes were locked on the darkness outside. Almost instantly he was beside me. "What is it?" He muttered, his voice sloshed. "Wolves. Our best bet is to leave," I replied, still keeping my voice low enough to not wake the others. 

"Why leave? That's too risky. Besides, a big wolf wouldn't be able to get into this small den." Loudbelly meowed softly, blinking over at me reassuringly. "Got a better idea? We're too tired risk a fight right now." I growled, rousing Icepaw and Frostfur with a nudge.

Loudbelly shook his head and rolled his eyes. "Are you mad? It's still dark. We should at least wait until morning. The creatures that none of us can fight, even together, are roaming right now!" Anxiety poked at my stomach. I can't risk it... It would be my fault if they attacked us! 

Icepaw looked around the dim den with half-closed eyes. "W-what's going on?" She mumbled, rubbing an eye with her paw. "We can't risk it. I'm sure there is at least a tree we can find to sleep in if we don't find another den right away." I nudged the small apprentice to her paws. 

Frostfur didn't look like she quite agreed, but as the wolves let out a deep howl, she stood up too. The two white cats nodded sleepily and Loudbelly turned back to me. "This is extremely dangerous. Keep your ears sharp and eyes peeled for Hawkpaw, Mudclaw and the rest of their gang. They'll be out for sure."

Nodding, I led the way through the darkness, keeping my body low and tail tucked into my side. We made our way past the scent of wolves and stalked quickly through the forest. My eyes were wide, trying to focus through the thickness of the dark.

I stumbled on a root of a tree and instantly my foot started throbbing. I didn't even hit it that hard. Pushing through the shots of pain, I looked through the dark for a place we could stay. I heard leaves rustling and I halted. The three almost bumped into each other at the abrupt stop.