Chapter 10 - Phantom

Start from the beginning

The last decent thing I'd eaten was back in Britain – somewhere I'd probably never go back to.

I noticed that there was a large wooden cup being handed around the people. I watched with interest as it worked its way further around the circle of people closer to us and wondered if we would have to take a drink from it too.I didn't like the thought of drinking from the same cup as all these other heathens.

My question was answered when it eventually got to Leonardo. He looked at it nervously and didn't move until someone nudged him. He lifted it to his lips and then handed it to me, wiping his hand on the back of his hand.

"Don't drink it," Kelly whispered from beside me. I rolled my eyes at his obsession with not eating anything from these people, until I saw that what was in the cup was akin to blood – blood from what, I didn't know or want to know.

I lifted it to my lips and pretended to take a drink like Leonardo had done and then handed it to Kelly who mimicked me.

"Was that blood?" I whispered.

"Yes," Leonardo replied. "It came from the same place as that meat on the spit roast."

"It smells good though, doesn't it?"

Leonardo and Kelly both looked at me in disbelief. "That's the flesh from a human man who I only hours ago witnessed being murdered!" Kelly said incredulously.

"Fuck me!" I yelled in horror. That was human blood that they were all drinking! That was a human that they were going to eat!

My stomach rumbled.

But it smells so good.

Everyone turned to me momentarily at my outburst, but I just smiled and laughed nervously, thanking everything holy that that couldn't understand me.

"Quiet!" Kelly whisper-shouted. "These are cannibals. Why did my mutinous crew come here in the first place?"

"They needed to repair the ship after the battle, and they said the best place to do that would be Gibraltar as it's on the way to Italy."

"Gibraltar?" he parroted. "Try the other side of the map!"

"What?"

"This is nowhere near bloody Gibraltar. I've sailed the sea for most of my life, and I'm telling you, this is not Gibraltar."

"Then where the fuck are we?" Leonardo piped in. "This is news to me!"

"This looks like one of the Caribbean islands. I've seen wild monkeys, so I'd say Nevis's Island to be exact."

"Do you think your crew knew where they were when they stopped?"

"Probably not right away. Most of them are idiots that can't read, let alone navigate a map. I reckon they left as soon as they realised where we were. The Caribbean islands are often subject to tales and rumours among ship crews, none would willingly come here."

"Do you think they'll eat us?" I could feel how tightly my eyebrows were knitted together with concern.

"I bloody hope not!" Leonardo spluttered. "Being killed is one thing. But being killed and then eaten? Nah mate."

"We need to get out of here," I whispered.

We all looked up when an old native guy suddenly came out of nowhere. He must have just arrived, but he was different to the other natives. His body art was finer, and his hair was long and tied intricately into little individual braids. On his body, there were many feathers and little beads that hung from twine.