"A common thief?" The older man said, frowning. "Common thieves steal from pockets and shops, they don't break into rooms at inns and take only one thing from the entire room."

Adelyn drew in a breath, sharp enough that the boy that sat only a few tables away looked up at her. His eyes searched her own, and she knew the moment he realized what had happened. The moment he realized who'd taken the watch.

Adelyn didn't wait around to find out what he would tell the old man. She ran out the door and latched her fingers around Harlem's wrist, dragging him along behind her. She heard him curse as they ran, but she ignored it. Adelyn was more worried about getting away than any headache Harlem might have.

Finally, Harlem ripped his hand from hers, glaring at her. "What the bloody hell, Addie?"

"He knows," Adelyn said, pacing in front of Harlem. "Oh, my god, Harlem! He's going to come after me, I just know it!"

"Who is?" Harlem said, frowning. He seemed to have forgotten all about his headache as she spoke, standing up straight and looking at her with concern.

Adelyn bit into her finger nails, peering behind him to look down the street at the corner they'd turned at. She felt her heart racing, and it wasn't in the good way. It wasn't the feeling she loved, that she got when she pulled coins from purses or watches from wrists—it was one that she hated. Fear was pricking at her skin, and she felt as though she couldn't breathe. The pirate knew where she lived. He knew what her best friend looked like. He knew her name.

"What's going on, Addie?" Harlem said, stepping closer. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

After taking a second to calm herself down, Adelyn looked up into Harlem's face. "I stole something from the inn the other day—you know how I use the man's key's and unlock the rooms and—"

"Yes, Adelyn, I know." He said, shaking his head. Harlem knew more about her thievery than anyone, but that didn't mean he agreed with it. "What about it? What happened? Were you caught?"

"No, no, of course not." Adelyn said, frowning. "But I didn't realize what I'd taken had been so valuable to the man. He was passed out on his bed, and he was so drunk that he hadn't even woken when I opened the door. I wanted to look through his room, but he had nothing—no luggage, no trunks, nothing but the clothes on his back and the pocket watch in his hand."

"You took the watch, then?" Harlem said, egging her on. She nodded.

"I took the watch, and I pawned it, and then yesterday he yelled at that boy I was with, accusing him of taking it." Adelyn said, biting her lip. "I hadn't put the two together until just then—I didn't recognise him because his face had been turned into the pillow at the inn, and—"

"And now he knows you have it?" Harlem finished.

"No," Adelyn said, pausing, "Well, yes, I think. The boy—he knows. And the man wants it, so I assume he's told him."

"Well," Harlem said, turning to look behind him. "Let's hope he hasn't."

Adelyn scoffed, but she said nothing more. She backed against the stone wall behind her, doubling over and resting her hands on her knees. If she'd been the one with the blade at her neck, she would have sold any stranger out in a heartbeat.

Harlem led the way home from there, and Adelyn shut herself off in her room. Neither of the girls she shared with were there when she stepped inside, and she let out a sigh of relief when she noticed. She settled into a chair just inside of the window, her eyes glued to the street outside, and she didn't let them look anywhere else.