Chapter Twenty

This chapter has 1555 words in it, and you get to see how Roy got his place in the story. I'm sorry for any spelling errors. If you see something that is bugging you, please feel free to comment with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism :) It literally MAKES MY DAY, reading the comments on my chapters. Like, you have no idea c': THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING!! ILY!

********

I looked at Kaden, who gave me a little shrug, as if to say "I don't know what to tell you". Roy fidgeted nervously.

"Sebastian was born before biting someone was outlawed. When his uhm..Dad? When his dad had him or made him or whatever he did, Sebastian lost his ability to empathize. That's what happens, y'know.  Vampires always lose a vital part of themselves, of their humanity." His voice was soft, hesitant. "When Sebastian lost his ability to empathize, he lost the most essential part of humanity in him. Many years ago, he'd hold tours around his village, an excuse to eat outside of his territory. He'd herd them into his estate and lock the doors. You can guess what happened next," He murmured.

Kaden stiffened, but I managed to keep my face straight.

"I was touring Lake Village with my family and a few other people. Sebastian led us to his house, and I remember gawking at how huge it was; I was 20, still immature. It wasn't hard to impress me. He led us all into a room with everything covered in stained glass. I'm talking everything. The walls were made of it, the ceiling was, every other tile on the floor was reinforced versions of it. It was the most colorful thing I'd seen in my entire life."

My heart was thudding loudly, and Kaden looked like he was going to be sick. We knew what was coming.

"Sebastian turned to us, and he had this grin on his face, I'll never forget it. It was like he had some sick connection to all of us, it was so twisted. He smiled at us like a little kid smiles at his parents when they've gotten him a great gift. He took a step towards my mother in the front, and I wanted to yank her back. Something about him didn't sit right with me."

"'You're very beautiful,' He'd said to the her. She thanked him, and he led her out of the room. He didn't come back with her. He did this to everyone, my dad included, picking them off one by one, until it was just myself and one other person, a little girl. He had taken her mom just a few minutes before. He was heading in my direction, and I'd known at that point what was going on. I'd been looking around the room, looking for a way out. I was afraid that if I made a commotion trying get out, it'd turn ugly really fast." His voice had changed into something darker, and I could feel dread in my stomach. Kaden's hand was a fist on his leg.

"I had noticed a little break in the glass; it looked sort of distorted, like somebody had intentionally placed it there. With Sebastian making his way towards me, I acted out of panic. I grabbed the girl's arm and ran towards that uneven piece of glass, intending to shove through it. I obviously didn't get very far. Sebastian yanked me back so hard I remember my arm snapping backwards, but I couldn't feel the pain at the time. I used my other arm to shove the girl towards the slot in the wall, and she broke right through it. I remember laughing at him, because he didn't get all of us. I was delirious, my arm hurt, and I wanted to piss him off. He made this sound in his throat, like he was disgusted. He threw me on the ground, but at that point, I no longer cared."

I stared at him as he spoke, his expression making me confused. He looked almost happy as he spoke, and I realized that he was thinking about the girl he saved. My eyes teared up at his selflessness.

"He was mad," He said simply. "He told me he'd enjoy killing me, that'd he'd make it slow. He bit me, and I can't remember what it felt like. I was staring at the ceiling, looking at all the different colors of the glass, when blackness started to crawl up the edges of my vision. It kept coming, and it sounded like I was underwater, not that there was much sound to listen to in the first place," He chuckled.

"Eventually, the black was all I could see. To this day, I still remember the feeling of falling. It was odd, I should've been dead by then, but I still felt it when he got off of me and lifted me up. I could still feel my legs dangling over his arms, and I felt it when he tossed me on the floor. I heard the door shutting, but it sounded like it was muffled. It went on like that for a long time. Sometimes instead of black, I'd see gray. Sometimes I'd have my hearing, sometimes I wouldn't. The same went for feeling anything. I felt something under me one moment and then felt nothing the next moment. The little girl was the only constant; I couldn't let go of her, my mind refused to not think about her. Where did she go? Did she live? Is she safe? Thoughts like that are what kept me determined, I guess. I realized much later that that's what kept me from dying." He murmured.

"It felt like I was in that transition between unconsciousness and consciousness. And then, very slowly, the black shifted to a permanent gray, and I felt things more often than the moments when I couldn't. That lasted for a while, and the gray transitioned into a kind of off-white, and I went from feeling most of the time, to feeling all of the time. The girl stayed in my mind, though. And suddenly, it was like someone poured a bucket of ice water over my head. I could see again, and I felt something more solid under me. I was in a brick room, and it took me a second to realize the thing I was laying on was a body." He shuddered, his expression dark.

"I tried to get up, move away from it, but my body was out of practice, being still for who knows how long. It took a while for me to catch my legs, my arms, back up. But when I did, it was different. I could move so easily, and so fast. I tried to push the stone door at the back of the room, and it hardly took any effort for me to break it. I refused to look back at the bodies I knew where behind me, and I ran out of the room as if the devil were on my back. I was just behind Sebastian's estate, and I realized then how much time had passed. There was a huge wall around the village, which had grown insurmountably. It was no longer a village, so much as an entire territory, all walled-in. I remember being angry, and I went around to the front of his ridiculously large house, which had also changed, got even bigger. I killed the guards in front of the front doors and walked in like it was the most normal thing in the world."

"I found him at the top of the staircase, looking at me like he expected me to be there. He welcomed me, told me I could have my pick of any room in the estate, and said he was glad to have a small piece of family. I tried to kill him more than once. He never returned the favor, because he was convinced I'd accept him eventually. Over the years, I gave up; I was growing lonely, and he can't be killed, not with his kind of brain. He was puzzled for a while; Vampires aren't supposed to feel, not like humans. But I love animals, I feel sadness, I feel guilt, I still feel everything I did, y'know, before." He explained. "Except I shouldn't. And my eyes, they're the same color. The only thing that changed about them was the vibrancy. I'm warm, too. None of these things should be possible for me anymore, but they are."

I swallowed. "So when you said you're related to him..."

"He made me what I am. It's his DNA that's still in my veins. We're connected like that."

"So you're a vampire. But you're not." Kaden stated, confused.

"I don't know what I am," Roy muttered. "But I can't worry about that, not anytime soon. We've got to get-"

There was a quiet knock on the door, and Kaden and Roy's gazes snapped to each other's, communicating silently. Roy slowly got up.

"Show her where she needs to be." He ordered him. Kaden nodded and grabbed my hand, pulling me down the hallway, pushing a finger to his lips. We ended up in a room just behind a large wardrobe, disguised as another piece of wall. Kaden placed the piece of wall back over the opening after dragging the wardrobe back, and we sat in the darkness, listening.

"..Here," I heard Roy's voice. As they got closer, their voices became clearer.

"I don't appreciate this, Roy." A familiar voice snarled. I froze, and Kaden put a hand over my mouth.

"I don't know what to tell you, Sebastian." Roy growled. "All I did was shove her out so she wouldn't get hurt."

"I'm going to find her, if I have to tear this house down." Sebastian snapped.