Chapter Fourteen

This chapter has 1184 words. I'm going through a lot of stress right now, with school and all, so there are probably a lot of spelling errors. By the way, SEBASTIAN IS #150 IN VAMPIRE! It was #204 JUST YESTERDAY! This makes me so happy, and every time I get a new read on this book, my heart jumps around like crazy. I love all of you so much, and thank you so so much for reading!

********

Kaden was outraged about going. The boxes had arrived, and he glared at his, while the rest of us looked in ours. Mine contained a white, billowy blouse, with a black skirt that came down to my knees. The shoes were simple, small black heels. He didn't send a necklace, but he sent a pair of diamond earrings, and I knew what he wanted me to wear in place of the necklace: the one he gave me, with the pearl. Mom was delighted with the contents in her box; it held a nice, well-fitting, button-up shirt, with black jeans and a necklace with sapphires in it. It had matching earrings, and flats. Dad's had a collared shirt the same blue as Mom's jewelry, black slacks, and black shoes, with a heavy, fancy blue and black watch. Kaden refused to open his box.

I didn't understand why he was so angry. I was doing this partly for him, so he wouldn't have to work ever again, whether Sebastian and I ended up together or didn't. The jewelry he always gave me alone would be enough to support us for a very, very long time. I thought back to the previous night, when Roy was so angry about me seeing Sebastian for my family. I understood, at length, why he infuriated them both so much. It was the same reason I was wary about committing myself to him: he was a murderer. And even worse, he felt no remorse for it. 

Still, though, this was the only way my family and I could stay together in one piece. Sebastian wasn't rude, he didn't hit me or call me names or anything close to that. He looked like an angel, and I found myself growing feelings for him. So, surely, it couldn't be that bad for me if it worked out. I could even possibly convince him to change the way he went about his thirst; we had hospitals, we could easily open blood drives. Everyone would be up for it; it meant saving their loved ones. So, despite his ways, I didn't understand why Kaden and Roy were so adverse to the idea of Sebastian and I staying together.

"Kaden, just open the box," Mom pleaded. We had thirty minutes before Roy came, and we were all dressed and ready, except for Kaden. He glared at her.

"I'm not going."

"Kaden," Dad began.

"What, Dad? You want me to go and pretend to have fun when I can't stand him? Want me to kiss his as-"

"Stop it!" I shouted. "Kaden, this is just one night. I never meant to get you all into this, and after tonight I won't ever make you guys come again. But, for the one night that I need you to, can you just behave??" I snapped. Kaden stared at me and smiled coldly.

"Fine, Elizabeth, I'll go." He said, his voice low. Uneasiness grew in my stomach, but I pushed it away and held my chin up.

"I hope you know what kind of person you're being, though. Hypocrite." He said casually, an angry glint in his eye. "Playing clingy girlfriend to a guy that kills more kids faster than you can blink every single day. Spending time with a king who eats his people. Being affectionate to a prick who would kill-"

"Kaden," My dad said. "You agreed to cooperate. Go get dressed."

Kaden snorted, but went to go change. 

The sound of a door shutting made us all jump, and Kaden walked into the living room in an outfit that matched my dad's, except where Dad's shirt was blue, Kaden's was white and he had a simple black watch in place of Dad's blue and black one. I realized that Mom and Dad matched, and Kaden and I matched too. 

Roy was waiting at the door, and his gaze caught mine for a moment before he looked at my dad. Something flashed in his eyes, but he blinked and smiled and it went away.

"Elizabeth gets shotgun," He said with a grin.

On our way there, Roy chatted animatedly with my dad about things like mechanics and farming, and Dad was very pleased to have someone to talk to who wasn't a co-worker. Roy's smile widened when Dad responded, and I noticed him glancing sideways at me here and there. His grin faltered when Sebastian's estate came into view. Mom gaped, and Dad gave a whistle. Kaden stayed silent, looking out the window, away from the grand house. Roy pulled up, got out, and helped me with my door. Dad did the same for Mom and Kaden.

Sebastian was waiting by the door; he was on the phone, and I could see as we walked closer that his usual breathtaking features were contorted in anger. I hesitated, and Roy touched my arm reassuringly. Sebastian's head snapped up, and he pulled the phone away from his face, shoving it rather ungracefully into his suit pocket. He walked up to meet us. He hugged me first, his chest cool through his suit jacket and his shirt. He lingered there for a moment before going to shake my dad's hand. He kissed my mom's cheek, causing her to blush, and reached to shake Kaden's hand, to which Kaden begrudgingly obliged. Sebastian turned and led us into the estate, with Roy following closely behind me.

"Thank you for coming," Sebastian murmured. "I've planned a nice evening for you all. Roy, Elizabeth and I are going to go to my garden. Kaden, Mr. Stevens and Mrs. Stevens, you all will go upstairs to my game room. I've called someone to show you there." He explained in a curt tone, his eyes catching mine as he spoke. Irritation flashed in them before he turned to Mom and Dad and Kaden.

"I will gather you all for dinner when it is ready, and Roy will drive you all home later." He said. He turned to Roy and I. "I hope you all enjoy yourselves," He called over his shoulder.

Roy looked confused as Sebastian led us down a stairwell. Sebastian looked back at us, glared at Roy, and grabbed my hand.

We walked for a long moment, and I saw a faint light at the end of the hallway. It was a glass door, where you could look out at the plants without going outside if you wanted. Sebastian turned to us.

"Enlighten me," He began. "While we walk, I'd like it very much if you both would care to explain why you met last night, after curfew, without me there. While you're at it, Roy, I'd like you to explain why you almost kissed her, knowing good and well that the very next day, she'd be with me. I'm absolutely positive there's a reasonable explanation for it." He said ironically, smiling at us. Roy stared at the ground, and I stared at Sebastian, not understanding. How did he know? Roy almost kissed me? My head was spinning, and I didn't move. Sebastian growled and grabbed my arm, a little roughly, and swung the door open with his other hand.

"Come on, guys. Elizabeth, you're good at telling funny stories. Why don't you start?"