Chapter Seven

This chapter is VERY short, with only 533 words. I'm sorry for the length (or lack thereof), but it was either update a short chapter or not update at all. It's probably littered with spelling errors, but I'm going to check up on those tomorrow, after I wake up. School starts in nine days, and I'm scrambling to get things done. Thank you for reading!

********

The ball lasted until three in the morning, and I had to practically drag Kaden by his ear away from the group of girls he was entertaining. They all glared at me as I pulled him away, and I glared right back. As we left, one of the guards grabbed my hand. I immediately tried to yank my arm back, but he forced something into my hand before letting go. Shocked, I looked up at him and found a set of amber eyes. He met my gaze for a second before snapping his attention back to staring straight forward, and Kaden pulled me a little, wanting to go home. He was completely unaware of what just happened, and as we walked towards the shiny car, I glanced down to see what was in my hand: a slip of paper. 

We arrived home, and was greeted by a very excited mother and a very angry kitten. It had taken us two hours to arrive back, and mom always left for work at six, so she was dressed and eating breakfast when we were dropped off. She asked Kaden a million questions, to which he answered vaguely, and he managed to shrug her off, claiming exhaustion. I tried to slink away without her noticing, to no avail. She trapped me and lead me to the kitchen.

"So," She said excitedly. "How was it?"

"It was fine," I muttered. She glared, and I wanted to snort. "Fun," I added for her benefit.

"Did Kaden have fun?" She asked.

"Oh definitely." I said, smiling. She smiled back.

"I bet the girls loved him," She assumed. I nodded, and she laughed. "Kaden is so charismatic, just like his father," She said the last part with a wistful smile. Her smile widened, and she asked, "Did you meet him tonight?"

I really didn't want to talk about it, so I just nodded. My mom gasped.

"And did he dance with you?"

I nodded again, and she looked like she was holding herself back from doing a happy dance.

"Did he spea-"

"Mom, I'm really tired and I don't want to talk about it, okay?" I cut her off. Her eyebrows knitted together.

"Did he do something to you, Elizabeth?" She asked. I shook my head and stood.

"I'm tired. I don't want to talk about it, and I'm going to bed." I made my way to my room, with Elmer following close behind, his tail swishing angrily in the air. 

Once inside, I remembered the paper, still crushed in my palm. My hand ached from gripping it for so long. I slowly opened it, relishing the feeling of stretching a sore muscle, times five.

"There will be a car to pick you up at two p.m. in two days. A package will arrive with your outfit. Be ready."

That was it. I stared at the paper, astonished. My astonishment quickly flowed into anger. He expected me to do what he said after the whole ordeal in the hallway? Not to mention he could go from backing me against a wall, to pushing me away, in two seconds flat. I wondered what would happen if I refused. I laid on my bed on top of the covers, and fell asleep toying with the thought.