Chapter 2

Chapter Two

Welcome Home Mapleton

A month and a half later, things had changed around Mapleton, South Carolina, USA. Everyone had been talking about Edward Lawson’s disappearance. Posters of Edward which read Missing were all posted on walls, bulletins, and trees. He was a trending topic in their small town.  

Morning of September 21, the Lockwood Family returned to Mapleton after spending their family vacation in London.

Louis Lockwood planned to surprise his friends, Richard, Travis and Ismail by not telling them that he had came back. As they reached their house, his grandmother, Francine, greeted their homecoming. His grandmother was the one who took care of the Lockwood’s home while they were on vacation. Francine hugged and kissed Louis's forehead. Louis hugged his grand mom back and told her that he missed her so much.

Then, they started to unpack things and carry some luggages back inside their home. Louis helped his dad – James Lockwood – and his younger brother – Jonah – in carrying some of their things back to their house.

Louis was so excited for their homecoming because he had missed America a lot but he loved being in the UK. After wrapping up their things, he decided to go to a nearby coffee shop.

“Buy four cappuccinos and one latte for your grandma as soon as you get back,” asked Martha, Louis’s mom.

“Decaf, son,” Francine added.

“Sure thing,” Louis said.

He went to Toby’s Coffee – this was the guys’ favourite coffee shop in Mapleton. They used to hangout there all the time every after Edward and Richard’s football practice or Ismail and Travis’s cheerleading rehearsal.

He ordered what his mom asked him. Then, he sat on the stool that was placed before the counter. A male clerk took care of his orders. Louis watched how the clerk prepare his beverage. After the clerk left the spot where he was standing, Louis’s eyes was caught in seeing a bulletin board that had plenty of attached paper clippings and announcements. There was a poster that says Still Missing about Edward Lawson.

Louis’ eyes widened. He leaned on the counter to read the little letters that was written on the poster. Then, he started worrying again. His concerned about Edward disappearance has not eased out since that night and now, he’s even more concerned than ever. He tried calming his self down by looking around on how beautiful the coffee shop was with its antique style.

His sight was caught as he glanced to his left when he saw a gorgeous girl with about the same age as his that has a long wavy platinum blond hair and a stunning hazel eye.  

She was sitting one-chair away from him. The girl was also looking at the poster and glanced at Louis. She stared at him down.

“Um,” Louis started after clearing his throat, “do know the guy on that poster?”

The girl nodded. “It’s Edward Lawson. He used to come in my school, though.”

“Mapleton High?” Louis was quite surprised because he does not recognize the hot girl. How could he not notice this hot girl?

“Yes,” she replied as she flipped her hair. “I know you. I saw you with him all the time.”

“Really? You saw me in school?” Louis smiled for he was noticed in school by someone – especially someone that was totally freaking hot. Louis has always in the shadows of Edward Lawson and his friends. He was the least noticeable guy among them. For him to be recognized by someone is an achievement.

He still analyzed the girl but she was not familiar. Then, he returned his look on the bulletin board specifically on Edward’s poster.

The girl reached her hands and introduced herself, “by the way, I’m Claire. Claire Summers.”

 “Claire,” Louis repeated her name and he introduce himself too, “I’m Louis Lockwood. Nice meeting you, Claire.”

“Love your accent,” Claire complemented, “British boy.”

Louis started to blush. Blushing is really obvious with his pale white skin.

They had some quite short conversation. After that, Claire left by giving Louis her number and waved at him to call her.

Louis smiled and his eyes were still glued on Claire as she was walking out. His fantasy was immediately snapped back by the tinkling of his BlackBerry. Louis grabbed his phone and press Read on the keypad. He wondered who it was. As he read the text, he got frozen like ice.

Your homecoming sure is flirtatious now that you have been RECOGNIZED by a hot girl. Don’t flirt much around. –E

Louis was nonplussed and was puzzled about the message. His eyes quickly roved around the coffee shop to see who was stalking him but no one seemed to be suspicious even though the customers were holding their phones. Louis was not even familiar to them and they weren’t familiar to him too, so how would they know that Louis was “recognized” for the first time?

Blimey!