Chapter 4

"Are you sure you are alright?"

Diana cleared her throat for the third time ensuring she was able to talk again and nodded in response.

"My apologies, I shouldn't have said that."

Diana paused and removed the hand she held to her chest then answered, "No it's fine. I really would love to be your wife, Naraine. I would love to be the one to rule by your side and support you in every decision you make, just like a true Queen does for her husband. However, my heart holds no such affections in the desire of being your love." Diana held the gaze of her friend, her eyes piercing into his blue orbs. "And it will be a cruel act to let you suffer such unreturned emotions on my part."

Naraine took a sip of his water and stared at the woman seated across from him. The woman who he had loved ever since he laid eyes on but was scared to let her know how he truly felt. It didn't matter if she won't be able to return his love, because he was bent on making her his Queen and fulfilling all her wishes to make her happy. But of course, like always, she opposed everything. That was the one trait Naraine admired about Diana the most. The will to stand against what she thought wasn't right in her eyes. However, being married to her was right for him and he was going to get her to be his one way or the other.

"I'm sorry you think I'll be unhappy due to your circumstances of not returning my affection." Naraine began. "But, I'm looking forward to have you as my wife, either ways, my feelings will always remain the same."

Diana's eyebrows creased in confusion. "You haven't heard anything I said? You cannot expect me to be your wife if I will only love you as a friend."

"That's enough for our marriage to work, Diana. Our Fathers have been planning this for years. You were just too young to be let in on the news."

"And I am old enough now?" Diana's voice rose to an octave. She couldn't believe her friend was taking her Father's side by not understanding the meaning of her feelings. Why couldn't they understand. Marriage is for two people who is in love for Christ sakes!

Naraine took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a moment. "Diana, I've always loved you, ever since we were children. Nothing will make me happier than to rule Vanoera with you by my side." He reached for her hand and began caressing it with his thumb. "I'm sorry for all of this and I do understand your feelings. But you loving me as a friend is enough to make room for more love."

Diana was sick to her stomach. This was too much to bear in one day. Nobody was considering her feelings and her future. She couldn't take it anymore.

"I'm sorry, I have to go." She rose from the table and head back to the castle.

"Diana, please...." Naraine begged watching her walk away from him.

Tears welled in Diana's eyes and she struggled to keep them from reaching her eyelids. This was planning for years by both her Father and King Cyrus and they didn't tell her anything until now which still wasn't the right time for her. She was nineteen. An age where she should be going to parties and gatherings, exploring the kingdom, staying up late and skipping breakfast to sleep in for the day. Not be forced into marriage. One of which she didn't have not even the slightest approval.

Diana ascended the stairs that led to her bedroom while trying not to trip over her dress. Martha picked the one that was pretty but a little bit too tall, so she had to hold it up to match her fast walking, which came to a halt after a voice began to speak.

"Good day, your Majesty." A guard stood at the corner of the corridor greeted Diana. "You're looking beautiful today."

"Thank you.... Uh...."