Bestfriends

The room was warm. The sun poking in through the open window, streaming beams of light onto the wooden floor below. The dust floated through the beams of light ever so gently. Floating and landing on objects spread around. The stings of the old beat up guitar in the corner shown from the light. The Orange glow of the soft autumn sun soaking the room turning everything it touched into a painting.

The trees outside swayed in the easy breeze. The leaves just starting to change color and fall to the ground. The children riding bikes through the neighborhood and laughing together at a joke that only each other heard. The breeze covering their faces turning them a shade of light red. Cars passing by on the street with soft sounds of the tires on concrete.

Autumn was a time of year where everything was peaceful. People were laughing, dogs fetching tennis balls, children jumping in piles of leaves. The smell of cold weather subtlety in the air. Pumpkins placed at the foot of each door and even in the windows.

I wish we had pumpkins. I wonder what it's like to be down there. Running through the streets laughing until I can't breathe. The feeling of excitement of being with my best friend. I understand why my parents say not to go out, really I do.

Jersey isn't the safest place to live. Though I am 18, I feel as though I should be able to go out there. It's so peaceful and serene. I haven't heard anything bad happen lately. Maybe everyone has stopped for a while, just to enjoy the autumn atmosphere. Just for a little while.

The sun was starting to sink now. Below the houses it went. I heard a tapping noise. Such a sweet, familiar sound. I look across the way through the window and see him standing here. A big smile covering his face. His face looking happy and eyes full of joy. His sweatshirt bunched up at the elbows. His lip ring shining from the street lamp. His hair still dark brown and messy.

"Hi" I said softly across to him. His smile getting a little bigger.

"Hey" he said. His face softened a bit into a more subtle smile.

"Why so happy today??"

His smile grew just a little bit again. He looked down and grabbed something from below the window. "I thought you'd like this." He said while throwing something to me through the window. Our houses aren't that far apart, but it was still scary.

I caught it and looked at it. It was a small box wrapped in paper. I looked up at him seeing a patient look on his face. "Ya know you don't have to give me things right?"

"Well, yeah I know that but, I just wanted to give it to you." His eyes falling down to the box in my hands. "Go ahead...open it."

With one last look into his eyes, I opened it. Inside was a another box. I grabbed it and stared at it. It was a black velvet box with gold on the edges. Carefully opening the beautiful box, I finally saw what was inside. It was a necklace. A necklace with a little bat on it. It had a magnet on it too. I looked up and stared at him. He was holding up a little pumpkin necklace from around his neck.

"I thought these would be cool as like friend ship things ya know?"

I looked at the bat again. I admired the detail and how so much can fit into something so little. It was amazing. "Thank you. It's amazing."

He smiled again and then disappeared into the darkness of the room behind him, something he did a lot. He appeared back with a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. He smoked occasionally and he'd always hold it in his lips for a few seconds before he lit it.

Frank was someone that looked too young to have what he had. He was 18and had some tattoos on his arms. He's shown me them a few times and they were so interesting. He was so passionate about getting tattoos for events in his life.

"So tell me again why don't your parents let you out of the house?" His look was curious and confused with a hint of anger. "I just never understand."

"They are paranoid I'll get killed or something. They don't want me to be walking home and end up dead in the lake at the park." I looked at the moon climbing it's way up the latter into its spot in the sky.

"You could tell them that I'd protect you! I can use my epic karate skills on any motherfucker who try's to mess with you gee!" He started doing some stupid karate moves.

I started to laugh a little. Frank always made me laugh. He made me happy all the time. He's one of those people who's laugh makes you laugh and it's such a great sound.

"You dork" I said looking at him as our eyes locked.

"Oi I'm no dork you're the dork
Mr. IJafkOfftoComicCharacters!" He laughed.

"I do not do that!"

"Oh sure you don't gee. Your window is open 24/7 you think I can't see in?"

My face went bright red. "You perv!" I hid my face in my sleeve covered hands. "It's not even comic characters!" I mumble yelled at him.

At this point he was laughing his head off. That little asshole.

"Oi gee look at me."

"What" I asked looking up to see him sitting there with a paper.

"Here" he said while throwing the paper airplane through the window.

"G'night gee!" He waved goodbye and shut his window softly.

I looked across the dark room at where the paper landed. I got up and walked to it picking it up and sitting on my bed.

I wanted to read it but yet again I want to wait. It could be something important or something completely stupid. Either way, I want to wait.

I put the plane in my sketchbook and set it on the desk. Walking back to my bed I laid down and looked at the ceiling.

After an hour of constant thoughts bombarding my mind, I finally closed my eyes and let sleep take me.