Chapter 5

I did not expect anyone to be in the laundry room. I guess I was wrong.

When I pushed open the I collided with someone. And that resulted in the person falling backwards with me on top of them and my clothes all over the place.

I then heard a groan and it was from non other than my new drill instructor Spencer when I looked to see who the mystery person I was on top of was.

I quickly then rolled off of her,apologised and offered my hand to help her up which she then swatted away and got up. She then glared at me with those gorgeous blue eyes and then she snapped.

"What are you doing here,you should be in your dorm. The buzzer has rung signalling you should be in your dorm. Recruit!What is your name?"

Well here I was being yelled at by the new drill instructor and that was not good as she could report me for not listening to rules and regulations which would result in me doing either extra psychical training or cleaning the toilets or whatever she planned .

"This recruit Is sorry ma'am for not being in her dorm ma'am,I had fallen asleep and had forgotten to do my washing. This is recruit Taylor Anderson."

She inspected me from head to toe which made me feel a little shy as I was wearing the pajamas provided. My legs had a couple of goosebumps since it was cold and my feet were bare because I was in a rush to get my laundry done I had forgotten to wear the flip flops.

"Recruit Anderson,first day and already soo energetic I see. I suggest that you do your work first and then do whatever you wish with your free time but once free time is over you will abide to the rules.You hear me?Meaning I could report you for not being in your dorm at this hour but I'll be nice and let you off the hook this once since it is the first day....don't expect this kind of special treatment in the future.Do what you came to do here now and make sure you don't get caught by any of the staff here or you will be in deep shit."

Either than the little bit of sarcasm she had put into her speech, I was glad that she did not rat me out on the first night.

"Yes Sergeant Carlin it will not happen again."I looked down while I spoke to her.
After I spoke to her she did not utter a word of agreement but left the laundry room.

I opened the washing machine and noticed a uniform more specifically her uniform. I would have just left it in there and did my washing in another machine but I felt like I owed her. So I did mine and hers washing,dried them in the drier and ironed them properly so there were no wrinkles. I did not know where her room was and I did not know where to find her so I hung her clothing on a hanger and put it on 1 of the coat hanger hooks.

I grabbed my clothes and quickly scrambled off to my dorm. Julie was on night shift so I told her that I got stuck in the toilet after washing my clothes,she bought the lie and let me in.

It was now quite late and fell asleep pretty quickly.

Breakfast the next morning was good. The toasted cheese sandwiches and crispy fried chicken strips were delicious. I had to remember to thank the people who helped cook in the kitchen. I had not seen Spencer Carlin yet but I did look forward to see her later.

One crazy thing about this place was that we all knew at least two languages or more but non of us knew arabic so we had to go to Arabic class to help us if we ever got deployed to go to Afghanistan or anywhere in the middle east, now trust me I do not judge a person who is from the middle east or for a fact anywhere from any country based on the outer appearance or where they live or whatever religion they follow what counts for me is what they are on the inside so basically getting to know them for who they are and not from the exterior appearance. You see every religion and country will have people who are extremists in beliefs or just people who are no good who want to hurt others because they are so adamant on being right therfore it would be wrong to judge someone based on what people tell you.

Our teacher for this was non other than Spencer surprisingly. She did not seem like a person who could teach Arabic or speak it so fluently.

She taught us the basics how to greet,say yes and no and normal conversational stuff.
We also learnt the alphabet in Arabic.She made discrete eye contact with a faint smile  letting me know that she noticed I had washed her clothes. I just gave her a broad smile and carried on reading out the alphabet with the rest of the recruits.

Some P.E was great after that lesson. We ran four miles and then had to  balance while walking on the balancing  beams till we got to the other at the other side,  we climbed up on the netting and down from the other side. We then had to climb crab walk 5 metres towards the swimming pool. We did not have swim training today thank God or I would have been a frozen popsicle.

Julie was consumed with fatigue,you could see by the way she had presented herself today her hair was a mess she even forgot to put on her socks which resulted in a couple of blisters on her feet. Later that afternoon when we got our break she asked if I could help her pop them. I was a little grossed out but felt a little happy that she had asked me since she considered me her friend because  I somehow reminded her of her little sister.

In total she had 5 blisters that needed to be popped and boy did they pop. Afterwards I told her to go to the nurse so she could get some ointment but she begged me to go since she was in pain.
I ran to the infirmary and saw Spencer and the nurse hugging.

Yep they were hugging and when I entered they quickly pulled away.

The tall brunnete who was just a couple of centimetres shorter stood next to Spencer. She looked just like Spencer except she did not have a athletic shaped body but a slim one with a couple of blonde streaks In her hair and she looked a couple of years older than Spencer.

She then grinned at me with her pearly whites.
"Hi dear would you like something? Pain medication,some pads perhaps or tampons? Anything you need I got it here. "She chuckled and then gave me a questioning look.

" Good Day Ma'am and Sergeant Carlin ..uhmm....W-well I-I wanted a few p-plasters and some ointment for some blisters please if that wouldn't be a problem."

Spencer scoffed at me for stuttering which earned her a whack from the nurse.

"Sure thing honey and don't mind Spencer she looks like she has a hard exterior but she's a real softie actually,trust me I would know since this buttheaded girl is my sister. Oh how rude of me I'm Nurse Nancy."

I giggled lightly not surprised that they were sisters but that Nurse Nancy had called Spencer a butthead and that they looked total opposites to each other. Spencer had her mouth hung since she was brought up in the conversation open so nurse Nancy went and closed her mouth shut and told her that a fly would go in if she kept her mouth open.

Which earned her a glare from Spencer.Nurse Nancy then went to get the stuff I had asked for from the other room. Spencer then turned to me and spoke in a civil tone without any expression on her face this time.
"You,Anderson, I have to say thank you for washing my uniform."

I blushed, I hadn't expected a thank you since I was just more than happy she didn't give me extra work.

"Sergeant Carlin the pleasure was all mine since you let me off the hook."
Spencer then nodded and looked elsewhere before looking at me again while I looked right back at her.

"Jeez,Spencer stop looking at the girl like your going to kill her she might just run away."
Nurse Nancy  had startled us, we  both had held such intense eye contact that we didn't hear nurse Nancy come back in.

Spencer then awkwardly then rubbed the back of her neck and silently muttered 'sorry'. While I looked super flustered.

I bid my farewell and thanked nurse Nancy. While I left I heard Nurse Nancy whisper something unknown into Spencer' ear which caused Spencer to gasp and  slapped nurse Nancy on the shoulder.

I helped Julie put on the plasters and cleaned her  popped blisters up. And then off we went again  as soon as the buzzer rung.