Chapter 5: "Resentment"

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry but I can't miss this one, it's really important."

She can't miss just one protest? You thought you two were friends, don't you matter more than some stupid protest? That's all Grace and Audrey ever do now. They just go to protest after protest. Did you ever really matter? Did they even keep your interests in mind when they dragged you along with them?

You grumbled and quickly responded, "Fine, I see what you really care about now."

You set your phone down angrily and walked away from it. You weren't in the mood to talk to your 'friends' anytime soon.

You picked up your dirty dishes and headed to the kitchen, you put them in the sink and went to take a shower.

The only other person who could drive you was your neighbor Tyler but, you barely knew the guy. It would be really weird to ask him to drive you places. Plus, you don't even know if you can trust him.

You mentally prepared yourself to have to take the bus and walked into the bathroom, closing the door behind you.

---------------------------------------------

You slipped on your (f\c) V-neck T-shirt and some denim shorts, you brushed your hair and looked at yourself in the mirror. You smiled and walked out of the bathroom, maybe taking the bus wouldn't be so bad after all.

You walked to your bedside table and looked at the clock on it, it was almost seven now. The dry cleaners open at nine so you could always walk to the park first. Or maybe you could just go on a peaceful stroll, either way it would calm your nerves.

You walked into the living room and grabbed your phone, you had ten unread texts from Grace. She was apologizing, trying to justify what she had said earlier. You were still mad but you felt sympathy for worrying her.

"It's fine Grace," You replied to her.

You may have said it was fine but, it wasn't really. You wondered how much you really mattered to Grace and Audrey. You all were really close before the monsters showed up but, their hate got in the way of their friendship with you. You all used to be able to share laughs, watch movies, get ice cream... But that all changed one day.

Grace and Audrey were closer than ever... And yet you had drifted from them, was that because you didn't feel the same way about monsters?

Even if that is the case, you have no regrets. They were the ones who had gotten so caught up in their loathing of monsters that they had grown apart from you. You were not at fault here, it wasn't in any way, shape or form your fault.

Seeing your phone was fully charged, you unplugged it, tucked it in your pocket and grabbed your keys and wallet.

You walked to the door of your apartment and walked out, you locked the door behind you and rushed down the stairs to the first floor.

"Excuse me deary, do you know where Blossom Street is?" A female voice asked.

You looked over to see none other than the spider monster from the café the other day. Does she live here? If so, for how long has she been residing here?

"Yes ma'am, you take a left down Cherry Street and keep going straight until you reach a crossroad. After that, turn down Magnolia Road and go about 4 miles and than you'll see Blossom Street." You told her with a smile.

"Thank you very much for your kindness, deary!" She adjusted her glasses and walked to the door.

"You work at Muffet's right?" You asked her.

She turned around, "That is correct, I own Muffet's."

"Oh! Are you Muffet?"

"Of course deary! Have you heard of me or something?" She asked you with a tilt of her head.

"Well, I saw the protest that took place at your café the other day... You were so calm and collected." You responded.

"Well, this bone of contention doesn't seem to have an end to it anytime soon so, I might as well tolerate it as best as I can." She replied.

"Bone of contention?" You tilted your head in confusion.

"Oh deary, I'm sorry. It appears I've been around Papyrus too much. A bone of contention is an issue that has continuing disagreement." She explained.

"Well, that just about sums up what's happening." You muttered slightly.

So she knew this Papyrus character very well? Well, the first time you ever saw him was when he went into her café. But what did she mean by 'I've been around Papyrus too much'?

"Well thank you again deary! You should come stop by Muffet's sometime, I wouldn't mind giving you a job application while you are there." She smiled politely.

She turned to walk away again and you quickly stopped her, "I'm sorry, but what would my pay be?" you asked desperately.

She turned around and looked you up and down, she must have seen how desperate you were because she responded with "Around seventeen dollars an hour."

That was above your pay at Harvey's by ten dollars! With seven dollars an hour, you could hardly pay your rent and were using money from your savings account to help keep yourself afloat. Ergo, this will give you a lot more financial security and for that, you are very thankful.

Your eyes lit up and you felt a rush of relief flow through your veins. "Thank you ma'am! I may have to take you up on your offer." you smiled brightly.

"I look forward to seeing you... I'm sorry, I never caught your name,"

"Oh! It's (Y\N), (Y\N) (L\N)." You replied.

"Well, I look forward to seeing you (Y\N). Have a great day deary!" Muffet replied as she walked outside.

"You too!" You called after her.

Woah, had that really just happened? You just got a job offer to work somewhere and they'll pay you more than Harvey's ever did. This excited you as you skipped outside of the apartment complex.

You made your way down the sidewalk and looked around at the green leaves on the trees. Maybe monsters really weren't bad at all, Muffet was kind enough to offer you a job with a high pay even though she just met you. She must really trust you to do something like that, if only she knew you were at that protest the other day.

Were you taking advantage of the monsters' kindness? Alphys, Undyne, Sans and Muffet had all shown you great deeds of kindness but they hadn't seen you at the protest. Papyrus had though and it was obvious he was very suspicious of you.

Every day you grow to like monsters even more but, you still feared some of them. However, what was there to fear? Had the tales of concerned citizens really effected you this much? Half of the stuff people say about them are most likely urban legends.

You felt a hand grip your arm as it pulled you to a stop. "Hey cutie, why'd you run away yesterday?"

You turned around in surprise to see the guy who had followed you yesterday. You weren't in the mood to deal with him right now but, you couldn't just walk away without saying anything.

"The name's Austin, why don't you give me your number hun?" He asked.

"I'm sorry Austin but, I'm not interested," You pulled away from his grip and sternly looked him in the eyes.

"Aw, c'mon dollface. Live a little, you're too gorgeous for me to just let go."

"I'm not interested." You repeated flatly as you turned and walked away.

You heard him starting to follow you but soon his footsteps stopped.

"I'm not going to give up that easily, (Y\N)." He growled from the distance.

His tone made you shiver, you never told him your name. He must've been listening into your conversation with Muffet or perhaps he looked you up somehow. But either way, he really gave you the creeps. You can only hope he'll leave you alone soon and that this won't escalate any further.