Meeting the Family, Part 2

Unlike when Cosmo had first traveled between Manipur and Delhi, flights now made the round trip twice weekly. Normally, Cosmo would have taken a train, but he wanted Sarah’s first visit to his home village to be as comfortable as possible. While she was accustomed to traveling throughout Asia, Cosmo feared his jungle might be a shock.

By the time they stepped off the plane in Imphal, the chilly January day had risen to a comfortable 19 degrees Celsius with the sun shining overhead. Cosmo checked on Sarah through the corner of his eye. She hugged his arm and smiled.

Cosmo knew his years of patience were nearing a happy ending. It had been over two years since he’d met Sarah in November of 1998 at the Asian Games in Bangkok. She hadn’t said yes to him yet, but only formalities remained. In a few minutes she would meet his parents.

They took their time progressing from the tarmac to the pick up area. Parked across the street, in the shade, Cosmo spotted his parents in a rented Jeep.

Sarah shivered and squeezed Cosmo’s arm to her side.

Cosmo plunged into the traffic, towing Sarah with him. They worked their way steadily across the busy street. “They’ll be so proud I’ve chosen someone so special.”

“Stop it. You’re making me blush.”

“I mean it. You are not like any other woman. They will recognize that.”

Sarah narrowed her eyes at Cosmo and scrutinized him. “You’re not like any other guy I’ve met either.”

They reached the far curb. Cosmo winked. “I know. So much talent and humility in such a handsome package.” Before Sarah could respond, he tugged her toward the Jeep while waving to his parents.

His father climbed out of the Jeep and hurried to open the door for Cosmo’s mother. The four of them met on the sidewalk beside the Jeep.

Cosmo bowed to his father and hugged his mother. “Mom, Dad, this is Sarah.”

Sarah bowed. She shook hands with Cosmo’s father.

Cosmo’s mother stepped forward to take Sarah’s hand in her own. She smiled while gazing deeply into Sarah’s eyes. A few seconds passed without another word—only the comfort and warmth of a family glad to see a son and gain a daughter.

“Come.” Cosmo’s father gestured toward the Jeep. He helped his wife into the back seat where Cosmo and Sarah joined her. Lastly, Cosmo’s father took the front seat next to the driver.

After a bumpy three-hour ride, they arrived at Cosmo’s village. He breathed deeply of the fresh air and turned to Sarah. “Remember, there’s no electricity. So everything is done a bit differently.”

“It’s beautiful, really.” Sarah breathed the words reverently.

“Thank you. I think so.” The Jeep pulled to a stop and Cosmo jumped out to pay the driver. He tipped him generously. “Return here next Wednesday morning.”

The driver smiled and gave the thumbs up while driving away.

“This way.” Cosmo took Sarah’s hand.

“Where are we going first?”

The two couples were already drawing curious stares from other villagers. Cosmo didn’t know them, so he smiled and kept walking. “I couldn’t introduce you to parts of my family first, while leaving out others, so—”

“Don’t say it.” Sarah interrupted.

Cosmo shrugged. “It’s only family. And extended family. Well, some of them aren’t technically family. Family is a loose term in the village.” The couple stopped in front of a large hut and allowed Cosmo’s parents to go ahead.