Kumar Returns

Cosmo finished the conversational instructions in English and ensured the class successfully partnered off. As soon as everyone engaged in the exercise, Cosmo turned to erase a section of the chalkboard and write the new vocabulary words. When he did, he spotted a newcomer standing in the door—Kumar.

Cosmo returned the eraser to the sill and strode calmly to the temple entrance. Kumar had come alone and without his ridiculous knee-high socks. In a low tone, Cosmo addressed the Hindu militant he’d left beaten and bruised on the cricket field two years earlier. “Can I help you?”

Kumar stared past Cosmo into the temple classroom for a long few seconds. He ran his hand over his face and sighed. “I’ve been paid 1,500 rupees to kill you.”

Cosmo tensed. “So little?”

Kumar shrugged. “I suppose if it had been more, we wouldn’t be talking.”

Cosmo nodded. “What exactly are we talking about?”

“I wanted to see for myself.” Kumar nodded toward the classroom. “Raju claimed you were turning Dalits into Christian zealots, that you were defacing Hindu temples.”

Cosmo tried to appreciate what he and Shamil were doing from an outside perspective. He understood how charitable work among the Dalits could make people nervous. The Dalits were so numerous, if someone was able to wield them in a personal cause, their power would be great. “You didn’t believe him?”

“It didn’t sound like the Cosmo Zimik I remembered from the cricket field. An arrogant jerk, sure. Defacing sacred sites, maybe. But the Dalits? That part didn’t fit.” Kumar shook his head. “No, the Cosmo I knew could have recruited a hundred Naga students and turned them into warriors in a matter of weeks.”

“I suppose you’re right.” Cosmo checked over his shoulder to make sure the class was fine without him. It was. “What do you think now?”

“Is all this for real?” Kumar asked.

“What exactly?”

“You giving your time and energy to them—teaching the Scheduled how to speak English. Playing football with street kids. This.” He gestured toward Cosmo.

Without hesitation Cosmo answered. “Yes, more real than anything I’ve ever done.”

“That’s what I thought.” Kumar turned to go.

“What do you plan on doing next?”

Kumar spoke without turning around. “I’m going to give back the money.”

“Do you mind me asking why?” Cosmo called after him.

Kumar stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, forcing people to swerve around him. He turned to look Cosmo in the eyes. “I’m from a Backward Caste myself. I’ve never met a Hindu willing to serve the Dalits, despite worshiping the same gods. And yet, you worship another.” He shook his head. “Someone will kill you yet, Zimik. But it won’t be me.”

Cosmo couldn’t be sure, but he thought he heard the parting words, ‘Be careful,’ before Kumar disappeared into the flow of pedestrian traffic.