Bringing Home Snakes

“This way. I think I saw something.” Cosmo leapt a small tributary of the main river before crouching atop its steep bank.

Ramrei followed behind him. “Why are we bothering with this? Snake meat is horrible. We might as well go spider hunting.”

Cosmo brushed aside a clump of scrub oak, an invasive species that multiplied behind his back. “There, in the sand. I see one.”

“Or steal scraps from high town.”

Cosmo shook his head and hissed. “You’re wrong. A Kuki boy from Pashong told me snake tastes like monkey, or even dog. We can take these home. Mother will cook them.”

Ramrei rolled his eyes. “Mother hates snakes.”

“How do you know?” Cosmo remained firm.

“Fine, we’ll kill some snakes. But you’re the one taking them home.”

Cosmo faced the river. Its waters were receded. In a month’s time, after the rains began, the rocky embankment where they crouched would be under water. Below the two boys, a glistening black snake uncoiled and slithered toward a hole in the muddy bank. “It’s getting away. I’ll grab the tail, you smash the head.”

Without waiting for a response, Cosmo jumped the two meters from the bank to the sandbar. His bare feet sank into the wet sand.

Ramrei strode further along the bank before springing down to join his younger brother. The yellow and black banded snake didn’t flinch at the boys’ presence, its head already disappeared down the hole.

“No you don’t.” Cosmo snatched the flickering tail, yanked the snake backward and let go. What had appeared a meter-long snake now looked closer to two meters long.

“A big boy.” Ramrei whistled through his teeth. He held a bamboo stick in one hand and a rock the size of a monkey skull in the other.

Exposed, the snake quickly coiled into a knot.

Ramrei clucked his tongue and nodded toward Cosmo. “One more time.”

Gripping the tail a second time, Cosmo dragged the snake into a straight line.

“Gotcha.” Ramrei struck with a swift whack of his stick, pinning the snake behind the head. A second later he brought the rock smashing down, but with less than the desired effect. “The sand is too soft!”

The body of the snake jolted and writhed.

“Hold down the head.” Cosmo released the tail and rushed to his brother’s side. Using the bamboo stick like a spear, he stabbed at the writhing snake. His first shot deflected off the slippery hide and sank into the sand.

“Hurry, before he gets loose.” Ramrei held the rock in place, his hands dangerously close to the angry snake’s buried head.

Cosmo stood on the snake with both feet, clamping its rubbery skin between his toes. He took a deep breath and aimed the sharp end of the bamboo stick. With a precise stab, he pierced the snake. Simultaneously, both boys jumped clear and watched the animal’s final throes.

“Next time you take the head.” Ramrei slapped Cosmo on the back and both boys laughed.

Cosmo tugged the bamboo stick from the sandbar and tossed it up onto the embankment, snake and all. “Maybe the next one should be smaller.”

Using scrub oak for handholds, the boys scrambled up the slope. Ramrei crushed the snake’s head with a second blow from his rock for good measure.

Cosmo removed the stick and hung the snake in the low saddle of a nearby oak tree. “Two more?”

Ramrei nodded and the boys continued their hunt. On their left the river ran slowly downhill and away from their village. On all sides, the jungle lured them with promises of treasure. Currently, Cosmo only cared about the ones he could eat.

An hour later, the brothers returned to the oak with three smaller snakes in addition to the large one. Cosmo slung the two-meter-long serpent over his shoulder so it wouldn’t drag the ground. “Tonight we feast on snake meat!”

“What is it with you and meat?” Ramrei leapt over the tributary and continued toward the village.

“Man was meant to eat meat, not beans and vegetables.” Cosmo stuck out his tongue.

“Then why is meat so expensive and vegetables so cheap?”

Cosmo shrugged. “The good things in life are always expensive.”

Ramrei scoffed. “Too bad for us.”

Cosmo kept his mouth shut. He didn’t want to ruin a successful afternoon with bitter words. But it was too late to silence the bitter thoughts. He would get the money someday—enough money to eat meat two times a day. And not snake or monkey. He’d eat chicken and pork. He licked his lips. Especially pork.

Not wanting to draw too much attention, the boys chose a quiet path from the edge of the village to their house. Ramrei didn’t seem concerned, but Cosmo was convinced if anyone noticed their prize of snake meat, they’d have to fight for it.

Having gotten ahead of his brother, Cosmo stepped off the road and scanned the branches of a plum tree while waiting for Ramrei to catch up. The buds had broken, forming tiny fruits. It’d be two months before the fruit ripened—five weeks until they became even slightly edible. Cosmo’s stomach rumbled.

Finally, Ramrei shuffled past.

Cosmo joined his older brother. “Mother will be so happy.” He dangled the smaller snakes in his hand. “I can’t wait until she sees them.”

“Me neither.” Ramrei continued his unhurried stride.

The boys returned home without event, and Cosmo burst through the bamboo door with the snakes dangling from his outstretched arms. No one greeted him. “Mother?” He faced Ramrei. “She should be cooking by now.”

Ramrei pointed with his chin. “Fire’s going. Maybe she’s in the garden.”

Cosmo grunted. “This one’s getting heavy.” He flopped the largest snake from his shoulder and onto the table. He kept the smaller three, one in one hand, and two in the other. “Let’s go find her.”

Ramrei shrugged, a strange smile on his face. “Lead the way, brother.”

Cosmo trotted out the door and headed for the garden in the back. A scream from inside the house stopped him short. “Mother?” He retraced his steps and shoved open the door. Trembling with excitement, Cosmo hoped to share the exultant moment with his mother.

At the sound of the door, she flinched and spun to face him.

Cosmo threw up his arms in victory, the smaller snakes still dangling from his grip, and approached her with his gift.

Terror rippled across his mother’s face. She screamed again. And again.

Cosmo frowned. Lowering his arms, he tried to offer comfort.

Dancing backward, she screamed even louder before bolting from the house.

“Mother?” Cosmo dropped his shoulders and froze in confusion.

“We’ll have snake meat tonight!” Ramrei barely got the words out before choking on his own laughter.

In disgust, Cosmo slung the smaller snakes onto the table next to the big one and wiped his hands on his shirt.

Later that evening, after being punished by their father, the boys learned the largest of the snakes had been a banded krait, a poisonous viper. It wasn’t the last time the boys hunted for snake meat. It was the last time they brought home their kill.