Church Partners

Kachui returned as Cosmo oversaw the safe departure of the last dozen young men to leave the courtyard. A small band of Hindu militants had gathered across the street by the end of the demonstration. They kept their distance—their numbers and strength impotent against Cosmo and his trained fighters. Word had no doubt spread of The Winning Team’s Christian message.

Cosmo always made sure to speak toward broader topics as well—education, literacy, charity, and the importance of staying off drugs. He wanted government officials to see the charity work and hear his socially empowering message as well as the Gospel. It helped ensure continued invitations in the future.

But the militants—Cosmo knew they heard none of that. He only hoped today’s converts wouldn’t be hunted down and harassed, or worse. As Cosmo watched to make sure the new converts wouldn’t be jumped on their way home, Kachui addressed him from behind.

“I think I found us a new partner.”

“Really? How so?”

“Pastor Anil is the real deal. His church is small, but he’s mobilizing groups of trained men to start dozens more throughout Gurgaon. He doesn’t have much money, but he’s interested in our ministry.”

“How interested?” Cosmo turned toward his cousin.

“He seems to think of nothing other than God’s kingdom. If we show him what we’re doing.” Kachui glanced around the stage. “Today’s conversions were many?”

Cosmo grinned. “Over a hundred.”

Kachui whistled through his teeth. He nodded over his shoulder, toward the two-story house of the village chief. The Hindus aren’t going to like that.”

“There’s already a get-out-of-town committee across the street.”

“On that note,” Kachui moved closer to Cosmo and lowered his voice, “Pastor Anil has encountered the same committee. He voiced concern for us. I assured him we could take care of ourselves.”

“They’ve been bullying the church?” Cosmo regarded the huddle of militants on the other side of the four-lane boulevard.

“Mostly vandalism. A few scattered beatings. Lots of intimidation. Anil says he’s been warned to be satisfied with one church.”

“Or what?”

“The violence will increase.”

“How far to his house?” Cosmo asked.

“Not far.” Kachui shrugged. “A dozen kilometers. He lives in a gated community out of fear of attack.”

“Let’s take the van.” Cosmo leapt from the stage.

“To make another visit?” Kachui followed.

“Bring the box of conversion cards. I’ll give the team the next couple of hours off.”

“You think that’s a good idea?” Kachui plucked up the box.

Cosmo shrugged. “What kind of trouble could a bunch of Christian ex-thugs and students get into in a mostly Hindu village during the middle of the day?”

Kachui rolled his eyes. “You’re the boss.”

Cosmo drove while Kachui and Kumar took up the remainder of the first row in the van. Cosmo had given the driver a hundred rupees to overlook the violation that could get him fired if his supervisors found out he let someone else drive the van. The driver took the money happily and waived goodbye as the three drove off.