25

Jacob

"I can't fucking stand you. You need to grow up and learn to respect people. You understand?" I grit, fisting the collar of my team mate's jersey. He nods and I let him go, shoving him away from me.

I walk down the hall and into the locker room, changing into my clothes. My hand runs through my hair and I put my snapback on, walking out. I make my way to my Hummer and I drive to my apartment, walking upstairs.

My hand grabs my phone and I call my mom, asking to talk to Grace immediately.

"Hi Jake," she says, my lips curving.

"How are you Gracie?" I ask, loving my sister more than anyone. She's my little girl; my sister the shining star in my life.

"I'm good. I got to go to art camp and I loved it. I watched you on TV too," she says, my lips curving.

"Is that so? I was thinking about you," I smile, her laugh heard over the phone.

"Let me talk to mom, beautiful. I'll see you soon," I smile, her words saying goodbye.

"How are you, Jake?" mom asks, my lips releasing a sigh.

"The press is making me angry. I had to cuss out Kaminski today because he was talking about his escapades of last night. The blame I get for his shit makes it worse," I say, sitting down on my couch.

"Jake, you knew going into the NBA was going to make the news rough. You need to be strong though," she says, and I nod.

"I know. Tell dad I say hi. And...that he needs to call me," I say, my mom affirming what I need.

"He'll be there for you whenever," she says, and I nod. I say goodbye and walk to my room, changing out of my clothes and showering. I put on my dress shirt and pants and walk out of the apartment, walking to my Hummer. I drive down to the team dinner and walk in, taking a seat where I'm supposed to sit. My eyes scan the room and I clench my jaw, wanting this night to be over already. I drink most of my drink before the dinner even starts and I wait for my food.

The edge is gone and I leave right after the dinner, taking a seat at the bar. I order another drink and flip through my phone, calling my friend. He answers and I ask him to come pick me up, and I wait.

"Hey mate," he says, my hand shaking his. We walk to his car and he drives the opposite direction of my place.

"Where are we going?" I ask, his lips curving.

"Jessa's having a party tonight," he says, my stomach turning. Jessa- my long time flame that I don't do anything about.

"I don't want to go," I say, and he just shakes his head.

"She wants to see you, Jake. She hasn't seen you in months," he says, and I roll my eyes. I just had to fall for his cousin, who tells him everything.

He pulls up to the party and I walk in, towering over most of the crowd. My eyes search the people, mostly girls, and I spot the one figure I know by memory. Without knowing, I really wanted to see her. She's the only girl I've semi-opened up to.

My body walks behind hers and I lightly brush her hair away from her neck, my head dipping down and pressing a kiss to her nape. She shivers, her reaction the one I always get.

"Jake," she breathes out, turning around and looking up at me.

"Hello, love," I whisper, her hand moving to mine. She grabs it, making sure I'm really here, and then her green eyes look up at me.

"Where have you been?" she asks, her expression soft. The alcohol already in my system has me buzzing, wanting her.

"Missing you," I say, leaning down and pressing a kiss to the corner of her jaw. She moves to me and grabs my arm, my lips trailing along her skin.