4. red umbrella

Lance took the subway to the diner like normal. He didn't have a car because he couldn't afford it and insurance, but he was saving up for one. When he got off the subway he still had a blocks walk to get to the diner, he put his earbuds in his ears letting the music engulf him. Hard times! gonna make you wonder why you even try. "Hard times! gonna take you down and laugh when you cry. These lives! and I still don't know how I even survive. Hard times. Hard times. And I gotta get to rock bottom!" Lance had been a fan of paramore for longer than he could remember and when he found out that they were releasing new music he preordered it in a flash.

When he got to the diner Allura was already doing his job and her own making it look like the easiest thing in the world. Ever since he started working at the lions den he looked up to Allura, she was always prepared and she could do her work blindfolded. She was like wonder woman, she was amazing. "Lance! Get your butt over here and help me for christ's sake!" her accent rung out while still managing to look professional and calm. "Just a sec Allura I'll be right there," he shouted back.

Halfway through his shift the crowd started to dwindle down. He asked Allura if he could take a fifteen minute break to eat dinner and relax. he sat in a booth and started to text Hunk.

{7:26pm}

[Lancey-Lance]: are you at the apartment yet

[Hunk:)]: Almost, I'm in the elevator on my way up right now.

[Lancey-Lance]: cool cool

[Lancey- Lance: do you have class tomorrow

[Hunk:)]: No. Do you?

[Lancey-Lance]: yeah, since you dont have class can you get groceries we're out

[Hunk:)]: Yeah, text me a list tomorrow.

[Lancey-Lance]: thanks you're a real hero man, i gtg bye

[Lancey-Lance]: is offline

[Hunk:)]: is offline

Lance finished his food and got back to work. Allura was taking someone's order, Coran was in the kitchen, and Lance was busing tables. On the outside it may look like any old style diner, but on the inside it was much much more. Coran started this diner with Allura's dad Alfor back when they were in their twenties, when Allura was old enough she started working here with them. When Alfor died Coran wanted to close the diner but Allura convinced him otherwise and said she would fill her father's place and become the new co-owner.

By the time Lance had finished his shift it was pouring, and he didn't have an umbrella. "Hey Allura?" Lance spoke in the sweetest voice he had. "Lance what do you need this time?" she groaned. "Do have an umbrella, or better yet a car. It's pouring outside and i have to walk a block to the subway to get home." He whined. "Ugh, I think we have an umbrella in the back, go ask Coran. He walked into the back room where Coran was taking inventory. "Hey Coran," "Yes my boy, what do you need?" Coran asked, his accent was thicker than Allura's. "Allura said that there was umbrella back here somewhere?" his tone almost making it a question. "Ok let's look my boy." Coran was always trying to find the positive in everything.

After about ten minutes they found a small red umbrella in the corner behind a box. He thanked Coran and Allura, put his music on, and walked outside. Even with the small umbrella he was getting soaked. He was stopped at a stoplight waiting to cross the street when he heard a car honk at him. He looked over and Keith was the one driving. "Lance! Do you need a ride you're soaked?" Keith yelled at the boy from his car. "You'd really do that?" he questioned the offer. "Dude it's pouring and you look like you just jumped into a pool." "Touche," He said back while walking over to Keith's car. He got in the passenger side.

"Why were you out in the rain anyways?" Keith asked. "Well I was walking to the subway from work." Lance replied still soaking wet. "What were you doing so that you were driving in the rain at-" he checked the time, " 8:37 at night?" he questioned the shorter boy. "I was dropping Pidge off at their apartment then i went to get more paint for school." Keith pointed to the backseat where a michaels bag was. "Turn here. What's the project?" Keith turned. "Individual expression project, it's due next week and I just started." "Nice i haven't even started my composition project and it due next week too. Stop here." Keith stopped in front of Lance's apartment complex. "Thanks for the ride, see ya tomorrow." he said while getting out of the car. "If you ever need a ride again just text me." Keith smiled as the taller boy walked in the building.

Lance walked into the apartment. "Hey Lance, how was work?" Hunk asked, not even phased by the fact that Lance was dripping wet. " It was good until I got soaked walking to the subway." the the cuban complained. "So the whole train ride people stared because you got rained on?" Hunk asked sympathy dripping off his words. "No actually Keith gave me a ride, he was driving home when he saw me and offered to give me a ride, I decided it was better than walking in the rain so I accepted." he rambled. He and Hunk talked for a little bit longer.

He got into bed, plugged in his phone and was just about to fall asleep when he shot straight up. "SHIT!" he yelled. Hunk ran into the room. "Lance what's wrong?" Hunk asked worried. "I forgot Allura's umbrella in Keith's car." "Oh my god Lance I thought you were dying, don't scare me like that you asshole." "I'm sorry Hunk I didn't mean to freak you out." he apologized. Hunk was like a brother to Lance, their families were close growing up and they became fast friends. Hunk had been there for Lance through everything. When Hunk's cousin died he relied on Lance. Hunk was like a big brother to Lance. Of course there had been struggles along the way, but they always stuck together.

-

Keith parked in the parking garage underneath the complex, he looked over at the seat Lance had been sitting in. He saw the umbrella and started to laugh, "Stupid Lance." he grabbed it and walked into the building.
----
word count: 1,106

a/n
fucking writers block hit me like a truck sorry lol school starts for me in a week and im not ready hope you enjoyed this chapter lol