Chapter 5

EDITED. 11/25/18.

The drive is silent, but I can see him glance at me from time to time. After about an hour of silence, he sighs.

"I promise I'm not going to hurt you, I just need you to relax," he assures me.

I shake my head furiously. By now, I've stopped crying.

Please explain to me how you fucking relax when you're in a car with a stranger going God knows where.

"Look, just take a nap and we should be there by the time you wake up—if you take five hour long naps."

FIVE HOURS?! WHERE THE ACTUAL FUCK ARE WE GOING?!

Tears begin to stream down my face as the realization hits me. I'm never going to see Haiden again. He's going to come home and see that I'm not there, by then I'll be six hours away and probably dead. Luna and Kayla will be devastated. Devin...I don't even know how he'll react.

"No, please don't cry," he pleads. "I don't want to hurt you, I swear." He reaches for me, but pulls away. He drives onto an exit and pulls into an abandoned gas station secluded by trees and moss. He gets out of the car and comes over to my side.

OhmyGod he's going to kill me. This is it. I'm dead.

He opens the door and unbuckles my seatbelt.

"It's okay, come here," he says calmly, motioning for me to step out of the car. When I refuse to move, he grabs ahold of my elbows softly and leads me off the seat. I avoid making eye contact throughout the process. He pulls a knife out of his back pocket. My breath hitches. "No. It's not what you think. I'm just going to take these off of you," he gestures to the binds, taking a step back.

I look down at my wrists, which have been rubbing against the rope. I nod hesitantly and he takes a step forward. He reaches for my hands, pulling them into his own. He carefully cuts away the binds, steering away from my wrists as much as possible. Before he lets go of my hands, he looks at me sadly.

"Do you promise to be good if I take these off?" he whispers.

I stare at him before nodding slowly.

He unwraps the binds carefully. When they're off, I rub my wrists to ease the ache. He then removes the duct tape from my mouth. I wince in pain when he quickly takes it off.

"Sorry," he whispers, wincing in empathy. I don't try to run, because I know there's no point, so I slide back into the car and shut the door behind me. He slides back into the driver's seat and buckles his seatbelt before pulling out of the parking lot.

"I'm Parker, by the way." He glances at me.

I nod and tilt my head against the tinted window. I watch as cars and trees pass by, each one different than the last. My thoughts swirl inside of each other, each one more excruciating than the last. I beg myself not to cry.

"Are you...are you hungry?" Parker questions thoughtfully.

I shake my head without even glancing at him.

"You sure? I can get you something," he prompts.

I shake my head again.

"Why'd you take me?" I whisper hoarsely.

Parker seems shocked that I've even talked. "You just seemed like the right one," he shrugs.

I choke back a sob as the taut knot in my gut grows larger.

"Please don't cry," Parker pleads. "I don't know what to do when people cry," he admits.

I sniffle and push myself further back into the seat.