"Primitive is another way to say back to nature," Peyton added. "If you can keep your demand in sync with the environment, then you'll rarely run into issues."

"Except during the storms," Holly teased.

"I realize the others fear the outside world, but you should consider tearing up some of the surrounding area to expose the soil and use it as growing space outside of that greenhouse. The plants are hardier than you think," Peyton advised, much like he had been doing since his arrival here.

"It is hardly nutrient rich soil," Mr. M said, and the smile he had used with Cynthia dropped.

"We'll find the right species of plant to help infuse the soil more. We've also noticed that the soil composition has been changing as well out there, beyond any levels we've seen in this environment. There's nothing but potential out, and if you're willing to stick to your resolve of limiting meat consumption, your land demand goes down significantly per person. You could be a self-sustaining community."

"I appreciate your insight, Peyton. We will look into reassigning some of the men to scavenge for the proper tools and equipment shortly. What else was it you wanted to discuss tonight?" Cynthia sensed Mr. M was not a man who enjoyed sharing the decision making power, from his forced tone and smile.

Peyton calmly took a spoonful of rice before continuing. "As the founder of one organization with roots prior to the disaster, I'm curious if you are aware of other similar groups who may have similarly prepared for this disaster in advance as you did."

The firm grip Mr. M held on his spoon attracted Cynthia's attention as it had previously been absent. His demeanor hardened. "I have to ask why you have such interest."

Peyton remained neutral and casually took a sip of his water. "Because, Mr. M, based on your reaction, we are both acquainted with the same people. They have my wife, and I have every intention of getting her back."

"Peyton, I respect your choice but I will not help you. I cannot watch good people walk into the arms of monsters. They will take away everything you have, even the things you did not think could be taken. Please, you have your safety, your freedom. I have seen many things in my lifetime. But to face that group, you must look into the eyes of the Devil." His shaking hand under the table betrayed his calm face.

Cynthia could sense the fear in both his eyes and his wavering voice. He made excellent points, that to give it all up would be almost sinful. At least it would in her case, when she considered Winston in the balance.

"Mr. M, with the utmost respect, if these people have my wife you can't expect me to sit here and plant gardens for you."

"One week ago, we did not even know each other. How does it matter to me what services you will or will not give to our community? I have spent time with these awful people, and it is not a fate I will allow others to endure. You can go to search, and I will not protest, but I will not draw you a map to your worst nightmare."

Peyton slammed his glass on the table and water spilled over the sides. "I have lost my child and, if I don't act soon, my wife. This is my nightmare."

"Your wife will be safe as long as she can maintain the balance for them. If you upset the balance by interfering, you will live to regret that decision."

"How do you know this? Are you a part of this?" If Holly's hand wasn't resting on his arm, holding him back, he would likely be reaching across the table for the leader.

Mr. M's brown eyes narrowed into slits like snake. "You look around. All the women in here I care for like my sister. The children I raise as they were my own children. The men are my brothers. My family, my love, you will not find here. They were taken long before the disaster. That is how I know of their evil. All I have left is to offer protection. Refuse it if you like, but do not accuse me of such cruel actions."