A place to stay

Levi had taken it upon himself to rest a bit longer after learning a little more about the woman who'd saved him but he'd expressed his concerns to Yuki about finding a more comfortable spot to rest, seeing as she seemed extremely uncomfortable in the position she'd earlier been in. The idea of resting next to him was completely out of the question, seeing as they'd just met so she arranged to have one of the attending nurses move a cot in to the room for her. She didn't know why she stuck by his side and made such an effort to be near him but somehow, somewhere deep inside her heart, she knew she had to see this through.

While he slept, she finally let her eyes follow the soft curves of his pale face and the raven locks that fell over his eyes as he released soft, shallow breaths. Just hours before, that face had been stained with blood, had a fearful expression masking the peaceful one she saw now, and it honestly made her think about, though she didn't want her mind to drift in that direction, of the moments when things actually worked out at the hospital. In her five months at the hospital, she'd witnessed her fair share of fatalities and felt the pain of every man and woman that died around her; however, the ones that were lucky enough to endure the pain, the souls that had the will to fight for their lives, had the same peaceful expression that Levi had on his face right now. With that vision of peace instilled in her memory, she allowed her thoughts to drift away, let her eyes kiss her cheeks, and let herself fall away in to her dreams.

Before she knew it, she felt a hand lightly tug at the collar of her shirt and, with sleepy eyes barely open, she looked up to find her uncle staring down at her with a toothy smile forming on his face.

"Sleep well princess?" He asked. In his right hand he held a bag full of something Yuki could only assume was food, since the wonderful aroma steaming from the top of it was starting to make her mouth water. She figured it was only hospital food, probably from one of the nearby cafes near the entrance but, since she hadn't eaten since the morning before, she'd worked up quite an appetite and was greatly in need of any form of nutrition.

"Hey there uncle Kage," she replied, her eyes looking back towards Levi's still sleeping form. She motioned for her uncle to place the bag on the table. As he did, she sat herself up on the cot and stretched out her arms. "I'll wait until he wakes up. It'd be rude to eat without him." Kage tilted his head to the side, gave his niece a smirk, then ruffled his hands in her hair before taking a seat at the table.

"You're lucky you called me when you did Yuki." he said as he pulled a sandwich out from the bag. "You're lucky I was still at the shrine." Nodding her head, she pulled her knees up to meet her chest and rested her elbows over her knees. She buried her face in to the space between her legs and sighed.

"I'm just glad you were there." she replied.

"I still don't get it though," Kage began, his mouth biting in to the sandwich as he spoke. "Why bother sticking around. You aren't responsible for him." Yuki sent him a quick glare, ashamed that her uncle would even think those kinds of thoughts would cross her mind. Sure, most people would've ran away from the sight she'd seen but she wasn't like other people. She'd spent most of her life trying to protect other people from the fate Levi had almost succumbed to; however, trying was all she ever did and she wasn't about to see another person die in front of her.

"I don't know why I stayed," she began, her face still resting between her legs. "It just feels like the right thing to do." She honestly couldn't explain it to her uncle, thought he wouldn't understand but before she knew it she felt her uncle raise her head up, his eyes giving her one of the warmest smiles she'd ever seen him give and, while one arm pulled her in to an embrace he began to pat her lovingly on the head. Lost in her own world, Yuki hadn't even been paying attention to her uncle getting up from his seat, so the sudden affection he was giving her made her blush, embarrassed but also surprised by it.