35

"Phoenix!"

I crashed to the ground, my wings crushed under my body. When I looked up again, I watched him plummet toward the ground, a trail of fire following him down. 

When I looked the other way, Ruby was standing before the Army, her mouth open in a scream. Her power radiated off of her, crushing the Army into dust. 

I closed my eyes and pressed my face to the ground, waiting for everything to become still again. Pain curled around my body, hanging onto my wings tightly. 

Everything slowed to a stop and I sat up slowly. 

At least half of the Army was gone, turned to dust by Ruby's power. The other half of the Army was regaining their stance, giving us time. 

Phoenix was nowhere in sight. I stood and walked to Ruby, who was shaking. She smiled at me and said in a whisper, "Finish it."

Through the pain, both in my heart and my body, I found all of my power. I carefully untied the dragon's tear and caught Sagacity's eye. He bowed his head and took to the sky, circling around the battlefield. 

All of my power.

All of the pain.

I unleashed it all.

It poured from my palms, a darkness to battle the night. It was thicker than ink, more powerful than anything. It crashed down to the ground in a wave that rushed toward them. With a jerk of my hand, it rose, forming a wall. 

A wall of utter destruction. 

It swallowed everything in its path. The creatures in the air. The soldiers on the ground, and their beasts. All of the weapons. Everything. 

I slammed my power down and everything disappeared in my darkness. 

When it pulled away, no one was left. The Winter Army was gone. I was a moment away from collapsing, but I saw a fallen form on the battlefield, bleeding out onto the ground. 

Phoenix.

I ran toward him, black feathers in my wake. I dug for the stone and found it, finding it cold. He had dropped it. He needed me. 

I dropped to my knees at his side and looked at him. His wings were ruined. Completely torn apart, red and gold feathers in a halo around him. He was bleeding out from his throat, death already finding him. I choked back a sob. 

"Raven," he whispered, reaching for me. I held his hand in mine. 

"I'm sorry Phoenix," I cried. "I couldn't save you." I pressed my forehead to his and whispered, "I'm sorry."

"I love you," he whispered. I smiled at him and tried hard not to cry, but tears were already falling down my face. Another person I couldn't save. No matter how powerful I was, no matter how hard I tried, I lost everyone. 

Everyone I loved.

"I love you, too," I cried. He smiled and closed his eyes. "Phoenix?"

His chest rose once and fell, staying still. 

"Phoenix?" I said, panic closing in. I shook him lightly. "Phoenix, don't leave me," I begged, running a hand down his torn wings. A hand was on my shoulder. I turned and saw Angelina, who was crying, too. 

"I think he's gone, Raven."