11

I woke up with a stone of dread in my stomach. It was the feeling of knowing something bad was about to happen, but you just weren't sure.

It took me a moment to remember today was the day of the wedding.

The door opened and my mother walked in, maids scurrying in after her. "Good morning, darling," she said, her voice honey. The curtains were pulled aside, bright sunshine cutting through the darkness. "Get up," she said, "We have a wedding to prepare for."

I groggily slid out of bed and a robe was wrapped around me. My wedding day. Supposedly the happiest day of a woman's life, which I thought was a little bit of bullshit. I wanted to be more than a bride, more than a trivial princess. But what I wanted didn't matter.

I bathed quickly and was sat down in a chair before my mirror. The maids hurried to and fro, painting my face for me, weaving flowers and snowflakes into my hair to symbolize the two courts coming together. Edward would be marrying Alice today, as well, after my own wedding. I wondered if he was excited.

Time wanted to rush me to the altar, it seemed, because in no time the wedding dress was delivered. It was beautiful. The dress had long, elegant sleeves made of lace, the neckline fairly modest. The dress itself started off snowy white and gradually changed to black at the base. Snowflakes dusted the train, coating the flowers of different shades.

I stepped in it and stared at my reflection, in awe. I was radiant. I stepped into a pair of comfortable boots that went up to my knee. A few touchups here and there and I was done. I turned to my mother. "You look beautiful, Raven," she said, her eyes shining. I hugged her carefully.

"Thank you, mother," I whispered, tears in my eyes. She took my arm and together we walked to where the wedding was held.

I waited in front of closed doors. The wedding would be held outside, in the garden. We would be married in front of the fountain. I waited to hear the music, for the doors to open. I could do this, I told myself. I could do this.

The doors swung open and everyone turned to look at me. The music began from somewhere and I started to walk. I smiled as my father joined me, tears in his eyes. I squeezed his arm and he patted my hand. I winked at Edward, who smiled back at me and turned my focus to who was waiting for me.

Tristian looked very, very handsome. He wore a sharp black suit, his tie decorated in snowflakes and flowers, too. He looked me up and down and his eyes grew wide. I think I saw a tear run down his face, but I couldn't be sure. He looked so shocked to see me, in awe of my beauty.

My father kissed my cheek and shook Tristian's hand, giving me away to him. Tristian held out his hand to me and I took it willingly. Maybe this wouldn't be so terrible. You look beautiful, he mouthed. I blushed and mouthed back, Thank you. You look handsome.

The priest started talking and we repeated after him. Right before the "I do's" it was time for vows. I had spent all night trying to write mine, and I eventually did. Tristian went first.

"Raven," he began, his hands shaking, "I know this wedding was not your first choice, that two kingdoms coming together is a shock." He still held onto my hand and I gave him a reassuring squeeze. "But I want you to know that I love you from the bottom of my heart."

I smiled and he continued, "With this ring, this marriage, this journey, I want to make your dreams come true. I want to laugh with you, see new places with you, and help build a new kingdom with you. I will make sure you will feel protected, safe, and loved." He was crying a little now, tears running down his pale face.

"And I want to be the best husband and friend I can be and more." He was finished. I smiled at him and felt tears prick my eyes. It was my turn. My mother snuck up and passed me my vows. She sat back quietly and I started to read.

"Tristian," I began, taking a deep breath, "Today we are going to start a new adventure together. So let's forget the past and run away together. Let's look at the stars, let's lay in the sun, let's play in the snow, and stop to smell every flower." He smiled at me and I smiled back. "I don't care that this wasn't my first choice because I'm choosing you," I said.

"I'm choosing us."

I wiped away a tear from my face and slid my vow into his breast pocket. He smiled at me, his eyes shining. We said our I do's and the priest said, "You may kiss the bride."

And he kissed me, leaning me back the slightest bit. It was indescribable how it felt, the feeling of his lips on mine. The binding of marriage would happen the moment he pulled away.

On our left hands, a tattoo wrapped around each of our fingers, similar in design. I watched the magic ink run down my finger and around my arm, where it wrote Tristian's name on my wrist. The same happened on his left wrist, with my name.

Everyone stood up and clapped as we walked down the aisle, together, hand in hand. There would be a period of time for everyone to stand and talk, and then Edward's wedding would happen a little later, somewhere else. He was going to the king, after all.

I lead Tristian back to my room, where I could change out of my wedding dress into something lighter for Edward's wedding. When we reached it, I looked at Tristian. My...my husband.

"I love you," he said again as we walked in the room. I ran a hand over his name, tattooed on my wrist. "I think I love you, too," I said. I kissed him again and then slipped into my bathroom to change.

Raven Malum, I thought. My new name. Princess of the Northern and Southern Kingdoms.