31

"What have you done?" Angelina screamed at me as we landed.

"The Winter Army. We didn't get out in time. I'm-"

Angelina stopped cold and slapped me across the face, burning with anger. "Get out," she screamed at me. "Get out of this kingdom. Get away from my family. Go!"

"No, Raven," Phoenix moaned. He collapsed on the ground. I accidentally teleported us from blind panic and he wasn't prepared. I backed away from them, giving her space. I glanced once again at Phoenix, who was on the ground. 

His beautiful wings were in tatters, shredded by the magic of the Winter Army birds. They draped across the dirt, their beauty and power ruined. I didn't know if they could be fixed. 

"Phoenix, I'm sorry," I sobbed. 

"Go," Angelina said, her voice a whisper. I backed up another step. "Phoenix can you hear me?"

"Angelina, I tried to get us out in time. This isn't my fault!" I cried. She turned on me, her eyes dark. 

"Don't you dare say that. This should have never happened."

"What are you saying?" 

"I should have never saved you in the woods. King Tristian should have killed you before you had the chance to run. That's all you do is run!"

"You have no right to say that to me-"

"Do us all a favor and run away. Again. And leave us to pick up the pieces." 

Tears streamed down my face. I glanced again at Phoenix, sprawled in the dirt, bleeding. "Trust me," Angelina hissed. "You've done enough." 

I took another step back from them and took a deep, shaky breath. "Fine. I'll go," I said. "I'm going to kill Tristian by myself. Good bye." Angelina stared me down as I retreated. "Good bye, Phoenix." 

My black wings exploded from my back. I turned, lifted them, and took off toward the sky, the sun slowly rising. I sobbed as I flew north, back toward my home. It didn't matter anymore. I would kill Tristian and die trying. 

I couldn't even save Phoenix. How would I save Vivianenth? 

Sagacity was wrong. I wasn't the Dark Queen. 

I grew tired of flying soon, but I pushed on. The Northern Kingdom wasn't too far away anymore. My energy and anger had carried me farther than I thought. The border soon arrived and I landed just before reaching it. 

I was so tired. 

But I had to end this now. 

I sat down for a moment and looked at the dragon tear necklace again. It was beautiful. And then it reminded me. I reached into my pocket again, pulling out the black stone from Phoenix. 

It was warm against my cold hand and I knew that Phoenix was holding it. I slipped the stone back in my pocket and stepped over the border into my home land. 

I would end this today. 

I would kill Tristian.