4

"You can't do this!" I screamed, fighting to stand. Peter tried to pull me down, but I yanked my arm away from him. Their king, King Malum, said, "This does not concern you, girl. What would you know about anything regarding the kingdoms?"

"I am Princess Raven Ebony, second born to the Ebony crown and kingdom. I know plenty, thank you very much," I snapped, walking out onto the dance floor, my shoes clicking on the marble. I stood between my father and King Malum. 

"Raven, please," my father said. He would not order me around if he could help it. 

"I am not a bargaining chip! Not some dusty knick knack to be sold off to the highest bidder!" I shouted at them. My father opened his mouth to say something, but King Malum beat him to it. 

"What kind of place is this, allowing women to speak like this?" He thundered, him and his entourage pouring into the room. I had to get out before I exploded. My family was a Magicus family, and we could harness the magic in this realm. One more shouted word and I would use it to explode. 

I glared at my father, then at King Malum. "You should bow to your soon-to-be father-in-law, Princess. Your actions today will not be forgotten," he said, marching toward me. 

"I will never bow to you," I hissed. To make matters worse, I spat on his shoe and left the ballroom. Once I was clear of the room, I ran. Tears were already spilling down my cheeks, my feet hurting from the heels. 

I crashed into my room and kicked my shoes off. Magic was in my veins, ready to be released. While I was not the most powerful Magi. My magic would never be powerful enough to kill anyone, let alone do harm. I disentangled my tiara from my hair and sat on the floor, against the wall. 

How dare they? Try to marry me off without my permission, my consent! My father had lied to me, saying I could marry whoever. It was King Malum's fault. He was the one promising war to us if we didn't do what he said. 

Someone knocked on the door. "Go away," I said, pushing my hair out of my face. 

"It's me, darling," my mother said. 

"Fine, you can come in."

The door opened. My mother floated in and sat down beside me. I laid my head on her lap and she stroked my hair. "I know this is hard," she said softly, "but it is what is best. A good king does what is best for his kingdom. Your father had to, to protect us all."

"I just wish I was told," I said, sniffing. She wiped a tear from under my eye and said, "I know, darling. I know. They arrived early. Your father was going to tell you tomorrow."

"Is he mad at me? For how I acted?" I was scared to ask this. But I would have done it again. I had no regrets. My mother chuckled and said, "No, he is very proud of you. We love how you've grown up. Headstrong, a strong and powerful woman. We are both very proud of you."

I allowed my mother to soothe me for a while. Finally, I sat up and wiped my face. My beautiful mother smiled at me and said, "Why don't you clean up and sleep. We're meeting the Malum family tomorrow, properly." I nodded. 

Mother left and I took a long bath, scrubbing my face clean, rebraiding my hair. When I was done and dressed, another knock came from my door. I peeked out and smiled. Peter. 

He snuck into my room and embraced me. 

"What are we going to do?" He asked, holding me tightly. I shook my head and said, "I don't know. We'll figure this out."

He pulled away and kissed me again. "Will you lie with me?" I asked him. He kissed me again in response. 

And so we fell asleep, laying next to each other. With his body against mine, his hand stroking my hair, his lips on my neck, I could almost forget my fate. Almost.