CHAPTER TEN

SWEET(ISH) SIXTEEN

SWEET(ISH) SIXTEEN

SITTING outside Emily and Richard's home was a daunting feeling for Hayden and as she looked up at the vine covered stone she briefly wondered if it would provide an escape route if ever needed. Her thought's were cut short as her mother and sister turned to her from the front seat "You ready kid?"

Hayden took a deep breath before shaking her head "I-I need a minute."

Lorelai and Rory shared a look before the latter was frowning "Do you want us to--"

"Go on ahead, yes please."

Lorelai sighed but nodded "We'll meet you inside, babe. Don't take too long."

As the elder Gilmore's departed, being greeted at the grand mahogany door by the one and only, Emily, Hayden sat back, her heart racing. It was her grandparents, she shouldn't be nervous but she knew how Emily Gilmore could hold a grudge. She got it from her after all. Hayden also knew she had a right to be mad and frustrated at the pair but she knew they wouldn't appreciate her attitude to the whole situation. She could only hope their reunion wouldn't be as painful as she thought.

Taking a deep breath, Hayden hopped out of the jeep before slowly making her way towards the door and standing before it she had never felt so small. Steeling herself, she raised her hand to ring the doorbell only for it to swing open. Emily Gilmore stood in all her prestine glory, her expression controlled after years of practice "Nice of you to finally join us. Happy birthday, Hayden."

The youngest Gilmore gave a tight smile, stepping in once her grandmother stood aside, offering to take her coat "Thank's." her eyes widened at the multitude of servants setting up "Jeez, did you leave any for the rest of Forbes 400?"

Emily sighed "So like your mother."

"Isn't she lucky?" Lorelai grinned tightly, grasping her daughter's shoulders as she approached "Why don't you go find, Rory, huh?"

Hayden sighed but did as told, breathing out in relief as soon as she was away from her grandmothers piercing stare. But whilst she didn't find her sister, she did however find a few familiar faces, Madeline, Louise and— "Paris?"

The Gellar girl looked beyond uncomfortable under her surprised stare "My mom made me come otherwise I wouldn't be here."

"No offence, but this party is a total snore fest." Madeline chimed in.

"I've had more more fun getting drilled at the dentist." Louise smirked.

Paris rolled her eyes at the blonde "I'll bet."