CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

RUN AWAY LITTLE BOY

RUN AWAY LITTLE BOY

______☕️______

WHILE her classmates and friends gushed about homecoming and their perfect dates, Hayden stayed silent, barely paying attention to Professor Anderson as she sat, chin resting on her fist. She couldn't help but let her gaze drift the empty seat that Tristan usually resided in, but his absence only remind Hayden how much things had changed. For the Dugray boy had been suspended for the third time that semester thus far and as much as Hayden pretended not to care, she was worried for Tristan. Why was he acting out like this? Was there something going on? Or is who he really was and she was just naive.

"—Believe it or not, Shakespeare probably never intended his plays to be read by students sitting at desks more concerned with getting A's than with the fate of Macbeth. His plays were meant to be experienced, lived. So with that in mind, together with my third period Shakespeare, you'll be split up into five groups and each group will assume responsibility for one act of Romeo and Juliet, which will be performed on Friday."

Hayden perked up as she shared a look with Louise and Madeline, each hopeful to be with one another.

"You will nominate the director, you will cast the scene, rehearse the scene, and interpret the scene in your own individual manner. Last year, we did Richard the Third. One group did their scene as the Mafiosi. Another set theirs during the Roman Empire. And my favorite, the climactic last scene was set during the final days of the Sonny and Cher Show. Just remember, whatever interpretation you choose should highlight the themes you see in the scene. And if the love of the Bard's language still doesn't inspire you, remember this will be fifty percent of your final grade."

When the papers were set on front of her, Hayden picked it up, running her eyes over the title before glancing to her friends hopefully "Act five?"

"Act five." Madeline chirped happily.

"Act five." Louise smirked.

Paris nodded her own confirmation before glancing to Rory with a knowing sigh "Let me guess, act five?"