21

Standing in the wings of the raised podium, hidden from view, where they would be performing shortly, Ki gazed through the curtains to the party going on just feet away. They were set to perform as soon as the dessert had been served. They wouldn't get to eat until after their performance and Ki's stomach was moments away from growling in protest.

"I can't wait to try those little cakes," Emmie moaned on Ki's right. She too was watching the festivities, but more so watching the dessert trolleys with longing.

"You'll get some soon enough," Ki patted her friend on the shoulder. She watched as King Raegar nibbled on a cream cake and spotted Rylan on his left. He was chatting with Lady Raewyn and Ki felt strange watching the two. Did the prince know that his father wanted to court his half-sister? Was she aware of this? The thought of her knowing this and still pursuing Rylan made Ki's stomach squirm. Now she was glad that she hadn't stuffed herself with food prior to the performance or she was certain she would have vomited. Lady Raewyn's scarlet dress fit her snugly across the chest, making her curves stand out even more. She looked splendid, but even so, Ki's gaze would always drift back to the prince. He looked incredibly handsome in a midnight blue dress coat with gold trimmings and elegant golden patterns on the sleeves. The cuffs and collar were decorated with intricate gold patterns. Ki had never seen him look as royal as he did just then.

"Is that a bit of drool I spot?" Emmie asked, pointing to Ki's face, whose cheeks immediately flushed.

"Stop it, I wasn't staring," she said in defence, but her hand touched her mouth nonetheless.

"Oh please, you were staring a hole into the guy's head," Emmie grinned and Ki bit her lip, making herself turn away from the distraction out in the crowd.

"Let's just get ready, shall we?"

Ori and Thatch were with Master Sarko and when the training master spotted the girls, he clapped his hands together.

"Okay, I believe in you four to wow these people or I will have you shovelling horse shit for the next month." He looked at each of them, but not even Thatch made a comment. "Alright then." Sarko nodded and left them.

The light in the ballroom dimmed down as Thatch extinguished several of the grand chandeliers in ceiling. The chatter died down and excitement rushed through the crowd. Ki and the others stepped out onto the podium and Thatch ignited the torches that had been placed in a circle around them. People gasped as the flames rose higher and higher, making shadows dance across their faces. Ki welcomed the heat and concentrated on finding her fellow three Howlers in her mind. It was much easier now. They had practiced so much, making their bond stronger and it didn't take much to connect with each other now.

In Thatch's mind, she saw him play with the flames, contorting them into figures, animals and humans. Her cue came when he made a flaming crown and she summoned a gust of wind. The flaming crown floated through the air towards the king. Ki twisted her hand and the crown floated down to hover just above the king's head. People clapped and Ki forced herself not to look at Rylan, afraid he'd break her concentration.

Ori took over, lifting the liquid from the king's own goblet and letting it engulf the flaming crown in a transparent bubble. Ki floated the flaming orb back to the podium, lifting it higher above the crowd. Thatch expanded the flames, evaporating the liquid and Ki saw in his mind what he wanted to do. Spreading her arms, she expanded out the flames across the ceiling, spreading the particles so far apart that the space above them flickered like tiny sparkles. The crowd around them clapped and Ki felt the adrenaline rush through her. Keeping part of her mind on the flaming veil above them, Ki risked a glance at Prince Rylan and found him watching her instead of the ceiling like everyone else. A shiver coursed through her, but her split focus held and she felt more powerful than ever before.