30

Ki felt herself weave in and out of consciousness. She sensed sunlight upon her face, welcoming the warmth as it touched her skin. She felt the earth move beneath her as images flashed in her mind. What had happened in the street, Emmie's body. Her eyes shot wide open and all she could see was clear, blue sky. A soft wind touched her face and she sighed against the touch of her element. Birds chirping and the rustling of movement close by had Ki moving her head to the side. His face was the first she saw and then Thatch's warm amber eyes met hers followed quickly by a familiar smile. She frowned as she watched his figure bobbing steadily up and down.

"Finally, I thought you'd gone into a coma." His voice was filled with different emotions, too many for her to decipher. Ki propped herself onto her elbows, grateful that some of her strength had returned. What she had thought at first to be the ground moving turned out to be her. Or rather the horse-drawn wagon that she was lying on. The bed of the wagon was flat with raised sides, like those used for transporting sacks of food around, though now it was transporting a recovering Air Howler lying on a makeshift bed of woollen blankets. Thatch, she discovered, was riding on a horse right next to the carriage.

Something soft brushed against her arm and Ki turned her head. She startled as she saw Emmie lying next to her. Eyes closed, unnervingly still, but Ki saw the small movement of the Earth Howler's chest as she breathed. Ki bit the inside of her cheek, hard enough to break the tender skin and the metallic taste of blood filled her mouth. She was afraid she'd burst into tears and not be able to stop. Looking up through glassy eyes she saw Ori riding right next to Emmie's still frame, watching over her. His whole body was tense in the saddle and his eyes, Ki noticed, were red. Unable to look at him any longer she turned her focus back on Thatch. She didn't need words to ask her question. He read it clearly on her face.

"She's okay, I think, but she hasn't woken up yet."

"How long?" How long had they been traveling? It had to have been more than a day judging from how rested Ki felt.

"Two days. We're almost home."

Home.

Ki turned to stare up into the sky. She hoped the Gods had heard her prayers. Her right hand found Emmie's and was shocked how cold it was, despite her being alive. She clutched it tightly in her own, willing her to wake up, but nothing happened. She didn't let go.

You will be alright, she chanted in her head. They would all be alright.

But somethings, Ki knew, could not be healed with hope alone.

End of Book I.

The story will continue in The Water Howlers - Book II in the Four Howlers series.

A/N:

Dear Howlers. Thank you so much for reading The Air Howlers. I hope you've enjoyed being on this journey as much as I have. Please don't forget to vote on the chapters and I'd love to hear your thoughts on this story in the comments. I use the feedback to improve my writing to give you guys a better reading experience in the future.

I will try and get started on the sequel, but I cannot promise when I will start posting, but hopefully it won't be long before we get to see more of the Four Howlers.

- Signe / Winter xx