6. Abience

The growing headache inside of Marshall's head did nothing to make the situation better. In front of him stood a large shot of ale, something he refused to drink until there were no other options. He wasn't much of a drinker, as he told MacColyn, the ship's cook, a thousand times. Still, that didn't stop the man from sliding him a cold one as he slumped in his chair. 

If there was something Marshall hated more than being stagnant, it was having to hold the ship meetings. He knew it was a good idea to have the entire ship present whenever an important decision was being made, but he'd rather have the important decisions made by himself. He had nothing against the captain, the sailors, nor anyone else, he just wasn't used to interacting with them. 

Something he needed to change if he wanted his plan to succeed. 

Evelynn sat in the chair beside him, idly twirling the wooden spoon in her cup. Marshall wasn't sure what was in it, but the crease between her forehead was gradually disappearing. He hoped it was legal. Either standing or sitting around the round hardwood table were the occupants of the Dulthys, or at least whoever could come. At least two dozen men and women stood in the spacious meeting room, solemnly waiting for him to make a decision. 

Captain Rosello was standing nervously at the head of the large table. His weathered down hat did nothing to hide his tanned and wrinkled face. He, just like the rest of the crew, was visibly relieved to see him awake, although they didn't say it. Marshall was still struggling to absorb the fact that he was asleep for a little over a week, but until he did he had to figure out their next step. 

"How long do you presume it will take to get the Dulthys operating smoothly again?" He asked the captain, twisting the gold ring around his thumb gently. Ordinarily, he would be rubbing the pendant hanging around his neck, the same one his father gave to him when his mother died, but he couldn't find it anywhere. He'd have to thoroughly search for it another time. 

"Can't tell if it's 'nother week or few more days," the captain admitted. " 'Pends entirely on how much sense we still have in the noggin."

Marshall twisted the ring a little faster. "And are your crew members unimpaired enough to get the ship sailing again?"

Captain Rosello shrugged. "Rather rough week, your Majesty."

"Not many ships survive an encounter with a siren, your highness," Samire cut in, tensely tapping the table's surface. He sat on Marshall's left, the map of Thyrm in front of him. Thyrm was a large continent, so it really only showed the northern parts of it. Marshall's eyes drifted to the Bloodied Black cliffs, his thoughts spiraling back to that strange day. He could barely remember the events that occurred during the storm, only snippets. Strained conversations, freezing cold water, a hand on his chest, and a sweet voice singing to him. . .

"-Esty? Your majesty?" 

Marshall snapped his head up to look at Samire's worried gaze. His face warmed. He was an idiot. Spacing out in the middle of a meeting was juvenile and thoughtless, something his father would have frowned upon. "I-I'm fine," he stated crisply, "proceed please."

Samire looked unconvinced, but he didn't say anything. Evelynn, who had been staring into her cup during the majority of the meeting, frowned at him. She didn't say anything but she slid her small hands into his own, rubbing reassuring circles into the skin. Throughout their entire engagement, Marshall had never felt any romantic intentions coming from the younger girl. This was the warmest she's ever been with him -in public at least- and he took it appreciatively. 

Marshall tried to capture any feelings, any at all, that was meant to prove that this wasn't a mistake. That he was doing the right thing by marrying her. He took a moment to try and feel the strong emotion called love for Evelynn, but it still didn't come. No matter what he tried, Marshall could only feel general physical attraction to her, and even that wasn't as strong as he would like it to be.