Chapter 18

After talking through several things, many of the men agreed to disband. There were a few stubborn Irishmen, but even they realized they couldn't defeat England alone. The process of packing up camp started early in the morning. Once Rowen saw that everything was going well, her and Donngal left to go back to the Hall. On the way there, Rowen tried to find out why Donngal had let her win but he kept a stony silence. After they had returned, he stalked away without a word. She shook her head in confusion over his behavior. So far, she had only thought of one thing that could explain it. The pretty serving girl Donngal had seemed to adore; Eileen. She still couldn't figure out why, if they seemed so in love, they weren't already married. Perhaps Briana will know. The events of the last few days had so exhausted her that she went to bed early, falling asleep as soon as she crawled into bed.

The next morning she woke to a knock on her door. She hurried to make herself presentable then opened the door. For the first time, she saw a villager wearing something other than dirty tattered clothing. He was dressed in deep red livery with a green sash that went over one shoulder and down to his waist. On it was a bagpipe and a sword stitched in gold thread. A servant. He bowed and handed her a scroll sealed with wax as red as blood. She glanced at the messenger, trying to guess what the paper might contain by his expression. His face was blank, void of all emotion. She broke the sealing wax and unrolled the parchment.

Lady Orlaith, it would please me greatly if you and your servant would grace me table for a midday meal. You have much to learn of ruling and I be the one who can teach you. I also be begging your pardon if I was rude when you first arrived. I had just received word that me favorite horse had become ill and it put me in a bad temper.

Your faithful servant,

Donngal Maverick

Rather than feeling relieved at Donngal's cooperation a sick feeling of dread settled in her stomach. How she wished her cousin was a blustering, threatening man. But he wasn't. He was cunning and she must not forget that.

She turned to the servant. "You can tell Donngal that I shall come. Ailen, the one whom he calls me servant, will be there as well." The man gave a sharp nod, turned and departed the way he had come.

Rowen looked at her travel worn dress. Why hadn't she bought another? To be sure, it would have been wrinkled but at least there would not have been dirt and horse hair on it. It was too late now. She turned her gaze to the sky. The sun had already cleared the horizon and would be at its zenith in only two or three hours. She thought about what to do. Where was Ailen? She hadn't seen him after returning from examining the army. They had parted when he had left to go after Briana. The glances Ailen had given Briana as she talked and the blush she had had on her cheeks made Rowen think they would get on very well. There was another knock on the door. She went over, opened it and found Ailen standing outside. It didn't escape Rowen's eyes that his hands were clasped with Briana's.

"Me lady, I be assuming you heard about the midday feast?" Briana asked.

"Aye, I did."

"And how be me lady liking the Hall so far?

"The Hall?"

"Aye, me lady, that be this building. It be your home now that you be the Lady Maverick."

"Me home?"

"Aye, me lady. I be supposing it be the Irish equivalent of an English castle."

"Oh."

"Be there something wrong, me lady? Surely the news that you will live here be no surprise to you. You knew you would have to give up your English life to live your Irish one, didna you? You canna live two lives. You will probably never return to England. You canna leave your people they depend on you, now. Me lady? Be you alright? You have gone pale!"

"I, just... I never thought about it like that before." How would she get word to Edward that the army was gone? She felt like the air around her was being sucked away from her.

Briana took her hand, bringing her back to reality. "Come, me lady, we have much to do to get you ready."

"But I have nothing to change into. I dona need to be getting ready since I be wearing what I will have on for the meal."

Briana shook her head. "You can put on one of my dresses, me lady."

"Oh, I really couldna..."

"Nonsense! You must, me lady. Me brother had already planned this feast before he knew of you. Several important people will be there and you have to be making a good impression on everyone. Besides all that, the servants be people of the Clan. When the day is through they will return to their homes and tell their families and neighbors what happened today. By morning all will know what was said and even what everyone was wearing."

"You say Donngal had this meal prepared? And who are these important people you speak of?"

"Well, me lady, it be all part of his plan. The people of importance be merchants but not the merchant you usually think of, they be lead-merchants."

"Lead-merchants?"

"Aye, me lady. They will make us prosperous, or so Donngal says. But I will tell you more about them while I fix your hair."

When they drew near to Briana's room, Ailen said, "I will attend to the horses and see that they be being properly cared for. Farewell, I shall see you at midday." They waved goodbye and entered Briana's room. It wasn't long before she had picked out the perfect gown for Rowen. It was a deep green, an exact match of her eyes. On the hem of it, the Maverick symbol was embroidered with the usual golden thread. A pale red sash ran around the waist. Without the sash, it was an exact replica of the dress she had worn as a baby.

When she was dressed, Briana started working with her hair. Then she began explaining things. "Ireland, as you may know, has much lead in the heart of it. For many people on this fair island, it is the only way they can survive. But it be a dangerous sort of work. Young boys who do it develop a cough that never leaves them. Tunnels collapse and then husbands and sons never return. Donngal be convinced that it be the only way to bring the Mavericks out of poverty."

"What do they do now? While they may not live in luxury they still be alive!"

"They grow their own food, barley, potatoes, and raise their own livestock, goats, cows, and sheep. If they need something they barter with their neighbors."

"But what be they good at?"

"Several men can carve, toys, furniture, anything you please. Some of the women can weave and others do pottery."

"They dona trade these items to other Clans?"

"Well, no, how would they get them there? The roads that exist be few and treacherous. Besides all that, they canna leave their crops for that long."

"I wonder if those roads be more treacherous than the mines."
Briana was silent for a moment, then said, "You be right, me lady. But, come, the food be prepared. I heard the sound of voices in the feasting room."