The Party (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

Rolling my eyes, I stepped a little away from Alec hoping they hadn't recognized me yet so I wouldn't have to indulge myself in their cheerful business conversation.

Thankfully, they hadn't seen me yet and I took the opportunity to slip into the crowd.

I felt like a complete idiot for stepping into the dance area all alone when everyone around me was having such a good time with their partners.

I was about to go back to the tables when someone called me.

"Mrs. Sinclair?"

I turned around, expecting to find someone familiar but stared at the unfamiliar blond guy in confusion.

"Yes?"

His lips broke into a smile which caused his emerald green eyes to shine in the dark. He didn't look too old. He could be in his mid or late twenties but it was difficult to judge with the mask hiding most of his features. "I'm Walter Reed, a client of Mr. Sinclair."

He held his hand for a handshake and I shook it with a smile. "A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Reed."

"Likewise, Mrs. Sinclair."

The song changed and I opened my mouth to excuse myself but he held his hand up.

"Would you care for a dance?" His eyes twinkled in the dark and I frowned at him for a moment but not wanting to seem rude, I put my hand in his.

There was something! Something about him that was so familiar!

Maybe I knew him from somewhere or he probably looked like someone.

His eyes seemed so familiar.

"Um Mr. Reed-"

"Please call me Walter," He spoke in a soft yet deep voice as we started swaying with the music.

"Oh-okay. Anyway, I just wanted to ask if we have met before."

"I believe we haven't. Only, I saw you in the newspaper when the news of you and Mr. Sinclair broke out."

"Oh."

He gently lifted my hand over my head and gave me a spin. "Why? Do I seem familiar, Mrs. Sinclair?"

"Please call me Scarlet," It was only fair since he had told me to use his first name.

"And yes. You do seem a bit familiar," I spoke.

His lips pulled up into a smile.

"But then, I meet a lot of people and I might be mistaking you for someone else," I shrugged.

"Ofcourse," He chuckled.

We grew silent once again and continued dancing to the music, while I was eagerly waiting for the song to end.

His eyes were boring into mine and I couldn't help but be even more sure that I had seen him before.

His pointed nose and other features were just so damn familiar!

"Are you liking Barbados?" He asked.

"Yes. It's a lovely place," I smiled. "Do you live here?"

"No. I'm here for business."

"Okay. I assume you're involved with Alec and Mr. Robert's company."

"There are more companies on this project but yes, those two are leading it."

I nodded.

The song was slowly coming to an end and I sighed in relief.

"So? How are your vacations?" He asked.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and offered him a forced smile with a lie. "Really good."

He chuckled. "He's boring the crap out of you, isn't he?"

I was left speechless for a moment. "Excuse me?"

"I apologize for my language but I just assumed that," He spoke and added after a while with a chuckle. "Typical Alec."

I frowned at his words.

Typical Alec?

Does that mean he knows Alec personally?

How is that possible?

Alec said he had no one.

Well, thinking of it, it's not really possible for someone to have absolutely no one. He has got to have friends!

But he said clearly that he had no friends either.

Why wouldn't he tell me?

But why would he? My conscience spoke, sending a pang of pain to my chest.

Right, why would he? I'm nothing to him.

"Are you okay?" His voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

I took in a deep breath and nodded. "Ofcourse."

Debating in my head if I should ask him about Alec or not, I did not see any harm in it. He's been asking me stuff too.

Could Walter be a friend of Alec?

"How long have you known Alec?" He suddenly asked me. Shouldn't I be the one asking him that?

"Months," I said.

He nodded and before he could ask me another question, I beat him to it.

"And you?"

He seemed to be thinking for a while before blurting out.

"Years."

My eyes grew wide for a moment. Years!?

I cleared my throat before speaking. "Then you must know him really well."

He nodded with a smile.

"You must be friends," I spoke discreetly.

"No," He watched me carefully with a glint in his eyes, almost like he was gauging my reaction.

"We're brothers."

Hey guys!

I know it was short but this one was kinda a filler chapter!

But I still hope you enjoyed it! ❤