5. office scandal

Start from the beginning

Caleb huffs in a sarcastic way, assuming that we're in trouble, and Ryan sends him a hardened, disdainful glare as we're singled out in the kitchen.

We stand close together and obey orders, feeling guilty for no reason at all, as if we're about to be reprimanded.

I take note of how people treat Harry here as we trail behind him to the closet. He has an authoritative air around him that people seem to respect him by, clearing the path for him to take us to our destination, returning to their duties afterward.

As we walk into this small closet holding the employee's belongings, Harry shuts the door behind us.

"Okay. Calling your girlfriend 'you'," I begin, a growing smirk on my lips as I cross my arms over my chest, "that doesn't get you any boyfriend points."

The deep-seated flatline on his lips from outside in the kitchen transforms into a chipper grin when he pulls me into his arms and into one hell of a kiss, leaving plenty of peppered kisses around my lips afterward before pulling back, taking my breath away.

"Does that help my case?"

"That's... wow, that's much better," I grin widely, caught off guard.

The sappy man in front of me I missed terribly contrasts drastically from the boss he was moments ago when he gives me an eskimo kiss and bids me a soft good morning.

"Well, fuck me," we hear Ryan puff out beside us, Harry and I laughing when we remember we're not alone in this break room.

"Sorry, mate, I wouldn't forget about you," Harry tells him mid-laugh, giving him a hug, both of them smiling into each other's arms.

"Hey don't apologize. I said it in more of a 'fuck me, you guys are really cute and I can't wait to die alone' kind of way."

"We are, aren't we?" Harry dramatically flicks back his short curls in a proud manner, pursing his lips out as I lean up to kiss his cheek when his arm rests around my waist.

"Do you know what would also be very cute?" Ryan questions, pushing his glasses up his face wearing an intellectual expression.

"What's that?"

"If we weren't pretend-working in a restaurant without even getting paid."

Harry lets out a sigh, dipping his head down before turning to me for any input.

"Can't say I disagree with, Ry. This wasn't what I had in mind of what to do when we got back together."

"I know, baby. Look guys, I promise I'll get you out of this, but for today, could you at least put up with it while I figure out what to do?" He begs, placing his hands together in plea.

"Why did you lie in the first place?" my friend wonders, frustrated by this whole ordeal. "Are you like, ashamed of us or something?"

"Of course not. Look, if the circumstance between us was different, seeing as you're my girlfriend and friend who are really here to arrest me, then I wouldn't have much to lie about, would I? And if it wasn't my obnoxious roommate of a friend that walked in—"

"You have a roommate?" I gasp, almost entertained at the idea of Harry willingly sharing his home.

At the same time, Ryan crosses his arms and inquires, "That Caleb dude is your friend?"

"He's really not a bad guy, he just would make a big fuss out of it—"

Someone opens the door behind us, once again another explanation of Harry's interrupted, and this time, the boss man snaps.