A small squeal escapes my mouth as my eyes widen. I immediately turn away from the gap in the books, and in the process hit my left foot on the bottom shelf of the metal bookcase. I fight to keep another squeal inside as my middle toe screams in pain.

Calm down, they probably didn't even notice you, I think, trying to calm my fears of the possible upcoming social interaction. Meanwhile, I hop in circles on my right foot and shake my left foot, an ugly grimace on my face. My mind is still racing, I swear I've seen those eyes before, but certainly I would have remembered them. They were so light and sparkly, like the ocean with the sun reflecting off the ripples.

"What are you doing?" I immediately spin around to face the direction of the voice, putting my foot down and standing up straight, my book clutched in both hands. And who else but Noah freakin' Thompson to be staring back at me with his sparkly light blue eyes.

"Um, what are you doing?" Stupid. So, so stupid. "What does it look like I'm doing?" I ask, trying to save myself. Nope, even stupider. Noah's expression has gone from curious to judgemental to what on earth is wrong with this girl, and I honestly couldn't blame him. I'm also wondering what on earth is wrong with me at this point. "I was just picking out a book and I hit my foot on the shelf." Finally, a decent answer, not that it matters anymore since I've already ruined any dignity I had left. Noah still looks at me skeptically.

"Then why were you so-"

"Dude, who are you talking to? Oh, it's Theresa!" Cameron walks around the corner from behind Noah, standing next to him. He puts his elbow on his shoulder and casually leans against his slightly taller friend. "Hey babe, how's it going since you told off this guy Monday morning?"

First of all, am I ever going to be able to forget about that morning? All I did was lie to help Olivia and then stand up to Noah, and everyone I'm with can't seem to talk about anything else. I wish I could just move on so I wouldn't have to keep reliving the embarrassing moment when I actually thought it was a good idea to stand up to someone like him.

Secondly, 'hey babe?' This is exactly what I try to warn Olivia about. She's caught in this trance that all girls get caught in when the school player starts talking to them. She thinks she's special to him, but how could she be when Cameron talks to me the same way? Of course I do want her to find someone, but I just don't think that person is Cameron.

"Uhhh," I say uncomfortably, not wanting to respond to that. I just want to get away from this conversation, the one involving myself, the school's two hottest boys, and no one else. Apparently I'm an open book, Noah smirks at my discomfort.

"There you are, I knew I'd find you in the romance section. Lunch is about to end, we need to go." I constantly thank god for Olivia. "Oh, hello," she says shyly when she notices I'm not the only one nearby. Cameron immediately takes his arm off of Noah's shoulder and stands up straight, wearing his most charming smile.

"Hey Liv."

"Hey," she says with a small wave. I turn and give her an incredulous look, arching one eyebrow higher than the other and narrowing my eyes slightly. There is no way you just let him get away with calling you "Liv."

Olivia shrugs her shoulders ever so slightly, as if saying, I like it when he says it.

I deadpan, Olivia...

She rolls her eyes slightly, here we go again.

"English please," Noah speaks up, noticing our silent conversation.

"Oh, sorry," I say sheepishly, turning my attention back to the boys but not meeting their eyes - especially not Noah's.

"Well, as I was saying, lunch is almost over so we better get going," Olivia continues.

"Okay," I respond happy to have not only something else to think about, but also a reason to leave.

"See you guys later!" Olivia says, starting to turn away from them and back towards our table. I finally look up again, first meeting Cameron's eyes with a small smile, then moving to Noah. I find him giving me that same curious look that he wore when he first came around the corner, but as soon as we make eye contact his expression turns cold again, making my polite smile fade. I turn and follow at Olivia's heels without saying another word, holding my book to my chest. Why does he have to be so angry all the time, and why does it make me so upset?

And why am I barely able to handle a conversation with him by myself? It's really getting on my nerves.

~~~~~

Written 8/13/17, Published 10/22/17
Ok so I didn't even do this on purpose I swear but the actress who plays Liv and Maddie on the TV show Liv and Maddie (Dove Cameron) is also the person I chose for Olivia. It's actually pretty pathetic that I did that on accident lol.

Thank you for reading!