BONUS: Stray Cat Blues (The Rolling Stones)

Start from the beginning

I didn't have the heart to tell him but she did see things that way. Which was why how she idolized her father had confused me at first, but I got it now. She was trying to build the relationship she assumed that she missed out on with him while she was growing up. She felt that if she worshipped him that he would find her worthy of his time. After listening to them talk on Sunday it was obvious that he realized he'd failed her at points in her life and wanted to try and fix that.

"You're both working to fix the problems from your past. That's all that matters to her."

"What was she doing this afternoon?" James asked. "I know that she mentioned she'd be out of the office."

"She had lunch with Rachel and said she was pretty sure that she would be stuck with Rachel and her Mom for the rest of the afternoon."

"Oh yes, how could I forget? Cyn called me this morning to ask how much she could admit to knowing about you two."

"You and Cynthia spoke this morning?" I asked. It seemed a bit odd that my girlfriend's father's ex-wife was checking to see how much she could ask about my relationship.

"I did, we speak often. She's becoming a grandmother for the first time. It's something we often talked about when we were married. All of our girls growing up and starting families. We had always expected Rachel to be first to do that and she is."

"I'm glad Evie was spending some time with Rachel today. She seems like a very sweet person."

"I forgot that you met her on your first date. Evie's protective of how much she tells people about that friendship. People often find it odd that she still calls her former stepsister her sister."

"Well, they are close it's a wonderful thing." We were both now leaning against our cars talking.

"Yes, yes it is. Okay, I should probably get home. Jessica is dragging me out this evening with a few other couples. I need to be on my best behavior tonight." I laughed at his eye roll.

"I should also probably get going. I need to pick up something for dinner so that Evie doesn't have to worry about it and can just enjoy time with Rachel and Cynthia."

"That's good of you. Enjoy your night with Evie and if I don't see you before then I will see you Sunday at my house for dinner."

"Absolutely. Thank you again for the round of golf." I climbed into my car and pulled my phone out to send a quick text to Evie.

I'm done golfing with your father and should be home shortly. Let's stay in tonight. I want a little alone time with my girl. Hope you're having fun with Rachel and Cynthia. See you in a few.

I pulled out of the parking lot and headed to a supermarket near by to pick up things to make dinner. It wasn't very busy and I didn't get stopped as I walked around which was nice considering I'd never shopped here. I usually get nervous going new places in town. I picked up everything to make a nice meal for Evie and loaded it into the car. As I went to get in I looked up and saw that there was a small group of shops that shared the parking lot with the market.

Inside the window of one of the shops was a group of little kittens playing with each other. The one that caught my eye was a tiny black and white tuxedo kitten with big ears and whiskers. I caught a glimpse at the sign and saw that it was an animal rescue organization. I shut the driver's side door and locked the car before walking over to the window for a closer look at the kittens. The little tuxedo kitten came up to the window and looked up at me. I rested my head against the window and instantly the kitten put its paw up like it was trying to touch my hand.

"Well hello, there you little one. I think you are pretty cute." I saw it open its mouth to meow at me but because of the glass was unable to hear it. "Okay, I'll come in and talk to you." I walked to the door and opened it before walking in.