"Cal?"

"Dad."

"Ray, he had to do it-"

"He didn't have to get involved with the whole thing in the first place. Ever think about that?"

Yes, I do. And part of me hates him for it too.

+++

"I still can't believe you kissed her in front of Aarons like that." Jace says, picking up his burger. I think back to the moment my ego took over and I had to prove to Aarons that Amelia was mine.

"Shut up about it." Everyone's been talking about it, and the rumours have gotten creative to the point people are saying I beat him up.

Amelia and Yasmin sit down in front of us, Amelia glancing around the room nervously.

"You okay?"

She nods. "Girls have just been giving me these death glares all day."

"It's 'cause everyone knows you and Alex are together and bitches be jealous," Jace says.

"You can't just say bitches as if it's another word for girl," Yasmin looks at him in disgust and I'm glad.

"True that," Val adds through a mouthful of food and holding up a fry.

"Sorry, ma'am," Jace rolls his eyes. "Didn't mean to offend you."

"You offend the entire female existence every time you open your mouth." She picks up her tray and stands up. "I'm going to eat with my friends."

"Does she really hate me that much?" Jace asks us when she leaves.

"She has every right to," I say and he looks down at the table.

"Why? Did something happen with you two?" Amelia asks.

"Yasmin will probably tell you."

Amelia frowns, looking at Jace who doesn't look up from his food for the rest of lunch time.

When school is over, Amelia and I walk hand in hand to my car that is parked far from the school because we were late again and the parking spots got taken.

Just as we get near, I see a man in a suit, leaning against the hood of my car. Shit.

"Cal? What the fuck are you doing here?"

"You've been ignoring my calls. You gave me no choice but to come to you." He looks at Amelia and I drop her hand.

"Amelia get in the car."

Cal smiles. "Go on, sweetheart. Do what you're told."

Who the fuck does he think he is?

Amelia looks at him, annoyance clear in her eyes then gets into my car.

"You can't talk to her like that," I spit, my fists clenching at my sides.