19

A/N: Hey y'all! Just a short note... I'm gonna be on a trip for a week and a bit so I won't be able to update after this but thabks a million for reading!!! Please comment, vote, and share if you like it!! Xoxo Kallie Grey

Zola's POV
I'm laying in my bed and staring at the glow in the dark stars that Daddy Nathan put on my ceiling.
When Mom said she was having another baby I was happy then sad. She hardly has time to spend with us as it is, and with a new baby she's gonna be so busy. When Ellis was born, we lived in Boston. I remember everything so well. Mom took us away from Seattle when Daddy Derek supposedly died.

Yet, here we are, Dad Derek is still alive and I've seen him once and it was from the car.

"Zola, time to wake up honey." Mom says. It's suddenly 5:30am and time to get ready to go to the hospital day care until Auntie Olivia can take me to school.
"Okay Mom. What's for breakfast?" I ask.
"Cereal, bacon and milk. Sound good?" Mom asks.
"Sounds great!" I say. I get up and get myself dressed and go downstairs to see Daddy Nathan taking the bacon off the stove.

"That smells so good! Thanks dad!" I say climbing onto the breakfast bar stool.

(Above is kitchen)

(Above is kitchen)

"Eat up! You have a field trip today to the science museum, here's your lunch. I packed a charm cheese and jelly sandwich, carrot sticks, hummus, and Annie's Gummy Bunnies. Does thay sound good?" Dad asks.
"Yay! Cream cheese and jelly sandwich!" I say. Those are my favorite and they're so good even though it sounds gross. But people eat peanut butter and fluff and my school doesn't let us have tree nuts or peanuts.
"Hey babe." Mom says, coming into the kitchen with Ellis, Bailey following close behind.
"Hey. Eat up Mer. You have another big surgery today." Dad says.
I finish eating, get up and out my bowl in the sink. I take Ellis and see her in the high chair and pour some cheerios onto the tray.
"Zo, don't forget you brush your teeth." Mom says, after taking a sip of coffee.
"Yes mom." I say. I go upstairs and brush my teeth, grab my socks and a pair of cute sneakers (pictured below)

 I go upstairs and brush my teeth, grab my socks and a pair of cute sneakers (pictured below)

"Everyone all set?" Mom asks. We all nod yes. "Then let's get into the car."

We pile into the car, which has 3 rows. Mom got it because of me and Bailey, but then she had Ellis and the third row is really nice. It's a really big car, and it's black and shiny. Me and Bailey take turns sitting in the third row.

"Mom? Can Uncle Alex take me to school today?" I ask.
"Why don't you ask him, since he'll be stopping by day care this morning." Mom says.

Meredith's POV
I text Alex asking him to drive Zo to school, and he replies yes, but Zo still has to ask him.

"How is baby Alexandra today?" Nathan asks.
"She's good. Kicking away all night, so I'm pretty tired." I say.
"That sucks. You've got that other surgery today, right? The liver transplant?" Nathan says.
"Yeah but that should be easy. That's the only thing scheduled today besides checking up on the twins."
"At least that seems easy. Meet me for lunch around 1pm?" Nathan asks.
"Sure." I say as we pull into the hospital parking lot.

7am
Alex's POV
"Hey there Miss Zola, what do you say I take you to school? We can stop by Dunkin Donuts and get a donut too if you want but don't tell your mommy and daddy." I say to the sweetie who stole my best friends heart during my project in the race for chief resident a few years ago.
"Uncle Alex! I wanna donut!" She says getting up and running over to me.

We go down to my car, which is an Audi SUV. I'm not super good with cars, but that much I know.
I pull into the lot at Dunkins and we get out.
"Uncle Alex, I want a strawberry frosted donut and I want chocolate milk please." Zola says.
"Alright. I'm going to get a coffee and a donut too. Should I get maple frosted or strawberry frosted?" I ask Zo.
"Strawberry!" She says. "We're going to be matching!"

"How can I help you sir?" The woman at the counter asks.
"Hi, can I have 2 strawberry frosted donuts, a chocolate milk and an ice coffee, black, one spenda." I say.
"Sure. That'll be $9.75." She says. I have her a $10 bill and out the quarter in the tip jar.

We wait a few minutes and we get out food and drinks and go back to the car.

"Careful not to spill the milk in the car, Zola. If it's not cleaned up it can turn into a really bad smell." I say, taking a sip of my coffee and a nibble of the overly sweet, pink frosted donut I bought.
"Okay Uncle Alex. I'll be really careful." Zola says.

We get to her school right as she's finishing her donut. She still has her milk, but she'll either finish it or throw it out.

"Thanks uncle Alex!" Zola says as she gives me a big hug and runs up to the school building.
"Have a good day Zo!" I say. I get back in my car and I drove back to the hospital.

"Karev! Where were you?" Owen yells at me.
"I was taking Zola to school." I say shortly and get to work on the patient in trauma room 2.

"Head laceration, page plastics and neuro to do an evaluation. Page ortho, this wrist is broken." I say to the nurse.
"Right away doctor." She says and goes to the phone.

"Hmm. Where am I?" The small girl asks.
"Hi sweetie, you are at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital. Do you remember what happened?" I ask her sweetly.
"It was a car accident. I was asking dad to turn up the music and he did. But when we were merging lanes, a car drove off a bridge and ma fed really close in front of us and dad had to slam the brakes on. But he was singing to music so his tea tion time was slower." The young girl says.
"You're really smart. How old are you?" I ask. There's a nurse behind me writing down the story and questions I'm asking.
"I'm 12 years old. I'm really short though, around 4'11". Dad adopted me from Ukraine when I was 2." She says.
"And what's your name?" I ask.
"Tatyana O'Rielly. My dad is from Ireland." She says.
"Well, Tatyana, you have a broken wrist, and a cut in your forehead, and I'm just waiting for my friend Jackson to come stitch up your cut, and my friends Amy and Callie to fix your wrist and make sure your brain is okay." I say.
"Okay. Thanks. Can you tell me how my dad is?" She asks.
"I'll go find out." I say. "Stay right here."
"I wasn't planning on moving." She says. I smirk and leave the room.

I go to trauma room one where Owen is shocking a man in his mid 40s.
"Is this Mr O'Rielly?" I ask.
"Yes, how'd you know?" Owen asks.
"His daughter is right next door. She was asking for him." I say.
"Welk, tell her that he has to go to surgery to fix a pneumothorax and a splenic bleed. Should be around 6 or 7 hours." Owen says to me.

"Page Meredith Grey and Nathan Riggs." Owen says to a nurse.
"Yes sir." She says and walks away.

Meredith's POV
I'm sitting down with the paperwork for the twins surgery from yesterday. My idiot intern messed up almost half of it so I have to go and fix whatever he messed up.
*beep beep*
I look down at my pager and I see I'm being paged to OR 3.
I go down to find Nathan scrubbing in.
"You got paged too?" I ask.
"Owen seriously paged you?" Nathan asks.
"Yeah. Babe, I'm fine. I did 9 hour surgeries when I was 34 weeks with Bailey. I'm 22 weeks now." I say.
"Okay but please be careful." He says.
"You're going to be in there too." I say slowly.
"Right. But I'll be focusing on the pneumothorax, and you'll be focusing on the splenic bleed." He says.
"Yeah but still." I say while I finish scrubbing in.
We enter the scrub room and everyone falls silent.
"Scalpel." Nathan and I say at the same time.
We start out surgeries and we finish within 6 and a half hours. A long surgery, but not the worst.

I scrub out after closing and go up to an on call room and immediately fall asleep.

When I wake up Nathan is running his hands through my hair and smiling at me.
"How long was I asleep?" I ask.
"Around 3 hours." He says.

His smile, the warm embrace, the running his hands through my hair, I can most certainly get used to this.
In fact, I already have.