Chapter Four: Neighbors

Start from the beginning

Hunk cleared his throat loudly, drawing the unwanted attention towards himself instead of the two (still glaring) males on each side of the house, "How about we go set down the food, yeah?". Churning waves seemed to halt, forming into a much more serene lilt that Keith took as a sign of silent surrender, their bright blue color shifting to look elsewhere.

Flashes of silver caught the ravenette's eye as Hunk waltzed away, Lance in tow with one hand while the other held an aluminum pan. Shiro's bulky form shifted nearby, fatherly disappointment rolling off the man in waves, "Mind telling me why you just caused a scene??". The taunting sound of Pidge howling nearby only caused Keith's anger induced blush to grow evermore brighter, hands clenching and unclenching tightly. At this point even Matt had turned around, awaiting for the disappointed dad speech that always occurred after Keith did something stupid or rude.

"He was the asshole who yelled at our dog, what did you expect me to do!?!" Keith whispered/yelled, trying to keep his voice down as to not upset Hunk anymore than he already seemed to be. Shiro shifted onto one leg, prosthetic arm coming to rest at his hip in a gesture meaning that he was becoming irritated, "Keith, just try to be nice.....please?".

To many people, the older Kogane was a picture of strength and level-headed calm, one that showed nothing but a hard exterior and even harder build. However, Keith along with their shared friend group knew otherwise, he was brutally reminded as steel eyes softened in almost a begging puppy way. "No, don't make that face" Keith warned, arms coming up to cross his chest in a defiant manner, looking away to stare at a wall instead.

Resistance was futile once the puppy eyes were brought out, Allura even cooed from her corner across the room, allowing her own exterior to fall. A quick glance over and everything came down, a curse flying across empty air, "Fine, I'll at least try to get along with the guy" Keith offered, arms flopping down to each side in a loud slap of skin against fabric clad hip.

Childlike happiness spread across his brother's face, a smile being thrown before Shiro made his way towards the kitchen, eyes practically gleaming in excitement. Keith truly wished he could share that same emotion, but the only thing the younger brother felt was a sense of dread and awkwardness, the feeling gnawing at the back of his sleep deprived eyelids.

Matt was quickly back to his game of MarioKart, inevitably drawing Pidge's attention as well to the bright flashing screen, screeching as they grabbed at the thrown remote laying precariously across the room. From the angle in which Keith stood he could most certainly make out the siblings' resemblance, both having the exact same expression once concentrated.

A suffocating sensation weighed heavily on his chest, sad smile etched along his chapped lips. Keith never had blood family, he had been an orphan all his life it seemed, nobody to call his own except a foster brother and dog.

"Hey Keith, want to play?" Pidge called, hazel eyes peeking overtop the back of the couch in a daring gaze, remote swinging in the air in offering. Matt looked over as well, having paused the game in exchange for joining the taunting, eyebrows wiggling in a way Keith thought only Pidge could pull off. That suffocating hold seemed to release slightly, just enough to allow him to breath steadily and slip in a small, yet genuine, smile, "Sure".

Both Holt siblings scooted over slightly, allowing their friend to sit in the middle, Pidge chucking their remote in Keith's awaiting lap. Pasty fingers picked up the remote just as a much smaller one lightly punched him in the shoulder, another coming up to ruffle the hair atop his head, Pidge chuckling as Matt gave an almost brotherly smile. Allura waltzed over as well, resting one of her dark arms along the back of the couch as the other grabbed onto Keith's shoulder, squeezing in a comforting manner.