Chapter Four: Neighbors

Start from the beginning

The guests were due at any moment, the three invited friends were already there, Allura in the kitchen with the two brothers as the Holt siblings argued in the living area over MarioKart. "Fuck you Matt! I hate rainbow road" Pidge yelled, standing on the couch with death in their eyes while their older brother simply held a cocky smirk.

Based on the call Shiro received earlier the only neighbors who were set to show up was Hunk and his best friend, Keith forgot the name though. As if the kind man could sense someone thinking about him, the door was knocked upon, guests entering just in time to witness Pidge slam their remote onto the floor. "Bullshit!" They screamed, chucking a pillow at Matt as he chuckled under his breath.

Shiro exited the kitchen as to be a good host and greet the newcomers, leaving Keith and Allura to their own conversation about the weather, a boring topic but still comfortable small talk. The air was calm and relaxing, allowing the younger Kogane to push away his anxiety with a small smile. That is, until Voltron began barking like the house was on fire, a familiar voice turning the comfortable air sour, oh hell no.

In a few ticks Keith was sprinting across the kitchen, teeth clenched in a tight scowl while Allura followed close behind. A stiffened arm towards an unsuspecting door along with much unnecessary stomping later and the situation was confronted.

Just at the home's threshold stood Hunk in all his smiling glory, however, beside the ray of sunshine seemed to be something more along the lines of utter confusion mashed with fake sincerity. Voltron sat nearby as barks spewed from his jowls like curses, eyes trained solely on none other than the aforementioned Cuban.

"What the fuck are you doing here!?" Keith growled, his own voice seeming to match Voltron's deep and guttural noises nearby, all rough and intimidating. All eyes quickly snapped between the two men, witnessing the brunette's face fall into a look of literal disgust before giving a disbelieving groan. Tension seemed to grow thicker by the second as everyone in the room seemed to wonder the exact same thing, what the hell is going on.

"Lance, calm down, what is going on??" Hunk asked, giving the tanned male at his side a firm dig in the ribs with his elbow. As if a switch was clicked, Keith connected the dots of his memories to the present, a hand grabbing at his hair, "You're Lance!?".

Shiro was the next person to realize the situation, steel eyes widening slightly at the update, a tiny snort escaping parched lips, "Wait, you are not only the neighbor Hunk has been talking about since we met, but also the crazy cat boy who Keith wouldn't shut up about for the past three weeks!?". A cocky smirk etched onto the man's face, which quickly changed into one of offence and growing anger, "crazy cat boy??".

Somewhere along the time period of yelling, Voltron quit barking, instead intent on creeping closer to the stranger, nose twitching in an attempt of gaining vital dog information. Blue and Violet interlocked in a stare down, one holding back vicious waves of the ocean while the other's swarmed with untold secrets and tampered down emotions. Neither showed the action of moving, instead using an animalistic show of dominance and intimidation to shock the other into submission.

"I thought your mutt had bad hair, turns out his owner has it even worse" Lance commented, only breaking eye contact in order to glance briefly at the other's head. Keith chortled dryly, a grimace showing through tightly clenched lips, "And I thought your cat was the most annoying thing on the planet, I guess we were both wrong ".

From somewhere near the couch a snort was blurted, cackling following afterwards owning up to who was responsible, Pidge. "No way! You are the 'Mangey Mullet' Lance kept cursing about in Spanish for over three hours straight?? I'm the smartest person in the room and that completely flew over my head" They called, slumping over the back of the couch as hazel eyes scanned the room, landing somewhere off to the side.