Such a colorful history, Rich mused. I must be a part of this. I feel it in my bones! I feel like I know these people… I wonder where I will come in?

The book described the different behaviors and training methods for each species of dragon in rich detail. Rich absently stroked the silver embossing as he studied, oblivious to the world around him.

                                                           ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ 

Daphne was hunting through the shelves in the lower library, looking for any books to do with physics and light energy. Her pale brow was furrowed in frustration, her lower lip held between her teeth as she sighed, running her hand over what seemed like the thousandth book.

Will I ever figure it out? What if there’s nothing about it?

The aether swirled around her, and she paused after a moment, eyeing the blue mist thoughtfully.

“Aether? Are there any… books on light energy? And physics?”

She felt a bit silly talking to an empty room, but her daft question wasn't in vain. To her surprise and delight, the blue tendrils slipped away and began plucking several books from the top shelves, high out of her reach.

Phew. I’d never have even thought to look up there. 

“Thankyou so much,” she said gratefully, as the pile of books were placed gently in her arms. 

They look so old and dusty!

She glimpsed the faded gold title on the bindings, and her heart sped up.

Physicorum lux flexibus, and Homo sapiens ex hujusmodi navitas?

She bit her lip, frowning until she flipped open the first page. 

The aether must translate as I read, she marveled. Thank the gods! Because I’ve certainly never learnt Latin.

She sat down in a cosy nook and began poring through the texts, her eyes bright in anticipation.

                                                           ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ 

Dennis was happily ensconced in the basement room, honing his telekinesis skills. The rune of light was zipping between the globes as if it were in a slalom competition, and Dennis caught the flying object with a firm grip as it whipped back toward him. He dropped a silly kiss on the rune, just as Chronos descended the steps.

“Uh…” Dennis glanced at the rune and decided against hiding it behind his back. “Hi.”

“Hello, my young wizard. Congratulations on your first rune.”

“Um, thanks!” He laughed nervously, hoping he wasn’t in trouble. “What’s up?”

“I have the feeling that you have finished reading your book and are getting a bit bored,” Chronos continued.

“Yeah, you could say that. I mean, I tried to make other runes, but they didn’t come alive like this one,” he sighed, looking down at the glowing object in his hand. “And I did them perfectly!” he added quickly, looking up as Chronos approached him.

“So it seems,” Chronos agreed, eyeing the towering piles of parchment, marked with painstakingly inked runes. “Shall we begin your training, then?”

“Sure! How can I make this one come alive—“ he pointed to the rune of fire he’d copied with no success “— and not burn the place down?”