Chapter XXXIII

※ ※ ※ ※ ※

The afternoon's lessons passed slowly, with the group disbanding before dinner as each went to do their own thing. Ben settled himself in his favourite spot on the colonnade, reading his book. Ryaki's small dark figure disappearing into the forest did not escape his sharp eyes, and he stared after her for a long moment. Bobby's appearance in the entrance of the colonnade was enough to distract him, as the small boy pranced along the highly elevated stone walkway.

Freyja's braids, a gust of wind would blow him over the side!

"Bobby! Wait there, I'm coming inside."

"Why? Its fun out here," the boy protested.

"it's too dangerous, too high," Ben explained, scooping him up just in time as he scrambled to stand on the edge of the barrier. "You're too small to be out here, you'll get blown off the side and get smashed to pieces on the ground."

"No, I'll just fly," Bobby denied, squealing with laughter as Ben tickled him and pretended to throw him over the side.

"You can fly, eh? Want to prove it to me, huh?"

"No, no, no! I was just joking," Bobby revealed, safely inside. Ben grunted and shut the door soundly, internally wishing for some peace and quiet so that he could organise his jumbled thoughts.

Dennis was en route to Mageia, preparing for an evening of Jake's annoying antics. He huffed and pulled his coat tighter around himself, wishing that learning to be a wizard didn't involve having to learn rune mastery from some weird boy.

Rich was holed up in his favourite nook in the upper parts of the library, lost in his book. The knowledge that he had pyromancy skills opened so many possibilities. He took a moment away from the luminescent illustrations to survey his hands, wondering how his abilities would surface.

Will I be able to create fire in my hands? Shoot fire through my fingers? he wondered. If I meet dragons, would I be able to control their fire? His musing spiralled away into daydreams of scorching battles and silvery scales, and he didn't notice the rain pounding away at the glass, or the screeching of the gale as it hurtled itself around the Athenaeum.

Daphne found herself alone in the Palladium, and had to squash a restless feeling that was so unfamiliar to her. She wandered into her room, looking around for a moment before grabbing her books and heading into the courtyard to read. The winds were still high, but she found a sheltered place to sit and sat for a moment watching the moons flying past overhead. Tiredness hit her and she was asleep within minutes, her head cradled in her arms as the pages of her books ruffled in the breeze.

Lissa went directly to her room, stripping on the way to the shower and leaving a trail of garments in her wake. She squeezed sweet-smelling shampoo and conditioner into her hair, enjoying the peace and quiet as she took her time. Stepping out of the soapy haven, she dried herself languidly with a fluffy towel. It felt like so long since she'd taken a few minutes for herself, and she spent a while in front of the mirror, assessing her current state.

Like all the Octad, her features had been recreated into perfection the moment they'd materialised in Chronos' abode. However, the brisk activity and regular meals had fleshed out her bones and left her cheeks with a healthy glow. She eyed her new muscles with consideration, proud of her new-found strength.

She dressed in a highly impractical silken dress that flowed sensuously over her curves, happy to know she needn't tape her chest or prepare for any Corybante-related activity. The quiet murmur of the others returning to their rooms was strangely comforting, and she could make out Matthaios' deep voice as he teased Daphne about something, her silvery laugh like music through the echoing halls.