2 | Is that...A WOMAN?

Start from the beginning

I smiled at the guy who stood up for me gratefully. He smiled back and extended his hands. "I'm Kyle, I play halfback – or tailback if you will."

So I was right. This is Kyle from chemistry, I didn't know he was on the football team.

I shook his hand. "Nice to meet you, Kyle," I said, my tone very grateful.

Mason looked at Kyle in anger. "Are you seriously taking her side, Kyle?" he asked, crossing his arms over his chest. "You've never even seen her play, and she took the position of one of your teammates, why the fuck would you support her?"

I didn't specifically request to be a quarterback. I actually wanted to be a running back or a wide receiver. However, coach was adamant that I throw better than anyone on the team.

I sighed, staying silent. I didn't want to pick up a fight with any of these guys today. I just wanted to play some football.

"Yes I am, Mason! She needs to be welcomed, not put down. We're a team, and whether you like it or not, she's part of it," Kyle defended me. I've known this guy for no more than three minutes and he's rooting for me like he's my biggest supporter. I think I have a favorite already.

"Kyle's right, boys," Coach came back. "Anyways, we have to start practice, on the field now," Coach said, blowing his whistle. The boys nodded and ran to the field, except for Kyle.

I was still standing in that same spot. I didn't know what I should do. They hate me, how was I supposed to survive a practice when only one person on the team wanted me there?

"Come on, let's get going," Kyle urged me. "Don't worry about the guys, they're all jerks right now, but they'll warm up to you in no time."

I nodded slightly. "Thanks, Kyle," I said softly. "I really appreciate that I have someone on my side. I expected everyone to be closed off to me, but not like that, you know?"

"You don't have to thank me. I believe in you, I've always trusted coach's vision and if he says you're incredible, I completely believe him. And I bet you'll prove it to everyone now."

Yup, I definitely have a favorite.

◢◤◢◤◢◤

"Good practice boys AND girl, I'll see you again tomorrow. Make sure to stay well-rested and healthy. We'll have our first game before you know it," Coach said. "Bring it in."

We all put a hand in. "3, 2..." Tristian counted down.

"Bears!" we cheered, and then everyone headed out back to the locker room.

"Good job today, Adams. Ignore the guys, they'll warm up to you before you know it," Coach Johnson said.

I smiled lightly. "Thanks, coach. I sure hope they do."

I walked away and grabbed my water bottle and my bag, starting my walk to the women's volleyball locker room. I needed a quick shower and their coach told me I could use the showers there any time.

"Daisy, wait up!" Kyle called after me. I turned to look at him. "We often hang out together at Tornado Lounge in downtown LA after practice, come with? You can get to know everyone better."

I loved Tornado Lounge, it was a very chill restaurant and cafe that had some arcade games that you could play, Jack used to go there all the time with his college friends, and sometimes I'd grab Mia and Claudia and tag along.