Disappointment

Disappointment

The week after arriving in Hobart town, and coming to Pa's place, was my dream come true. I loved cooking and cleaning for Pa and the boys’. Nash's teasing wasn’t as unpleasant as it was when he was younger. I found we had a lot to talk about.  Although, the easy communication, could have been, because I would answer all his questions. Especially about the people back in England, which he wanted to know about. Or because he genuinely like talking to me. It didn’t actually matter, as long as we were talking. Charlie started work on my hutch right away. He had a stock pile of wood and a shed he built especially for his wood work. Pa was brilliant. He fussed over me something fierce. I think he thought I was going to up and leave him. I knew this because he was always asking me questions about Will and my life with the Townshends. I answered him as well as I could. I told him what my daily routine was like, how I helped out with Nancy and Sara. I would sometimes get teary when I spoke of the girls, and I found that I was baking the treats, I knew they liked, without even thinking. I couldn’t be sure of what was going to happen with Will until he was actually here, or if I even wanted anything to happen. Time could only tell I do know that I owed it to him to talk to him.

I sent Nash into town again to purchase some more food stores and glass jars for preserving. Pa had a reasonable garden going, and I wanted to make sure we had vegetables for winter, plus some sweet preserves made up from the fresh berries, that we had in abundance. I also had Nash purchased some fabric to make some padded cushions for the chairs Charlie made. We all fell into a reasonable routine, it was gratifying.

I could hear the sawing while approaching Charlies work shop. He hadn’t come in for his meal so I thought I would bring it out to him. It was quite hot in the kitchen, and it was time for a needed break anyway. I got to the wide doors leading into the work shop  and watched for a moment. Charlie was working his saw, and seemed, as though, he was concentrating hard. He had chosen a lovely rich wood. The same as what he had used for the rest of the furniture he’d already made. He stopped what he was doing, straightened up and wiped his forehead with the back of his hand. He looked toward the door and smiled when he noticed me.

“Hi Payt, come in” I moved into the room and looked over what he was doing.

“You’ve been busy out here Charlie. So busy you miss your meals.” I said, lifting up the basket onto the bench beside him. “So, I thought I would bring it to you.” Charlie smiled and looked into the basket. “Yes there’s a pie Charlie, I feel bad, I didn’t realize how much work went into making something.”

“It doesn’t feel like work Payt. I have been enjoying making this for you.” He started to pull out the pie from the basket. “It gives me practice for when I make furniture for my own place.” His own place. I wasn’t sure I heard him right.

“Your own place? Charlie, you’re moving out?” I said, watching him bite into his pie. A little bit of juice ran down his chin. I reached into the basket for a linen napkin. I handed it to him and gestured for him to wipe his mouth.

“Thanks, and to answer your question, yes I am. I can’t stay here forever. I’ve saved enough money to purchase some land not far from here. I want to have an apple orchid Payt, and maybe do this.” He pointed to his work bench. I didn’t know how to explain it, but my insides were starting to flip. I only just found Charlie again, and now he was starting to talk about leaving.

“So…um …when are you going to do this?” I started making swirly pictures in the dust the wood made as it was sawed away. I glanced up to see Charlie studying me.

“Well that depends on a few things.” He took another bite of his pie. “I need to lay a claim first, and then I’ll have to build a cabin. Because, I’m not going to live in a stick and mud hut again, we did that when we first got here.” He finished his pie.