Coming Home

Coming Home            

The Ship had docked, and Lady Townshend was helping Ash, and I organize our belongings, making sure we got everything. Once we thought we were finished, Lady Townshend had our things taken out by the crew. I already told Pa how many trunks I had stored on the ship, while we were in Sydney.  He disembarked right away, to arrange an additional wagon. He said he didn’t want to keep them stored in town.

“Ashley, do I look ok?” I asked as I flattened down the flyaway hairs, from where they had been whipped around my face, from being up on deck earlier.

“Yes, and what about me? I feel so nervous.” Ashley looked up from tying her cape and attempted to do the same thing I was, with her hair.

“You both look lovely; now let’s get off this ship.” We didn’t argue we were all ready, for this voyage to be over. Both Ashley and I followed Lady Townshend, through the narrow passage that led us out onto the lower deck. Lord Townshend was waiting for us at the top of the loading plank.

“Welcome to Van Diemen’s Land Ladies.” Lord Townshend said as he gestured for us to precede him down the plank.

The dock here, looked much like the one in Sydney, only on a smaller scale. But although a smaller operation, there were still people every where. Sailors were moving around, unloading cargo, and also, other passengers. Either looking for relatives or trying to search out what they were to do next. It wasn’t so busy that we were getting crushed, but I felt I a little disorientated with all the noise. Just as, I was starting to feel a little overwhelmed, I saw Pa’s face emerge from the throng of people.

“Payton, Ashley over here.” I turned around to make sure Lady Townshend had seen Pa too, and was following us, which she was, followed along by Lord Townshend. We emerged from amongst the activity, to end up on the side of a dirt road. Pa was standing next to a wagon.

“I can’t believe we're here Pa, it feels so good to know I’m actually here, with you.” I walked over and gave him a quick hug. After a moment shared with my Pa, I heard a throat being cleared behind me.

“Um, excuse me my lady. I turned, and automatically started a quick scan. There were a few men standing by Lord Townshend but my eyes didn’t focus on anyone, except the handsome Captain, who was in front of me preforming a gentlemanly bow.

“Oh, yes Captain Jefferies, but, please, call me Payton. We’ve spent too much time together, for you to be using such formalities with me.” I said, with a warm smile on my face.

“I just wanted to say, fair well, I understand you are leaving tonight for your father’s house, and I will be leaving the day after next.”

“Yes, well that is very sad indeed.” I was genuinely having a feeling of loss, at saying goodbye to this captain. I put out my hand so that the he could kiss it, as he was gesturing for me to do. When his kiss met my hand, I felt my cheeks flame, I was sure he lingered longer than he should have. His eyes drew up and met mine. Our journey together was at an end. He was such a good man, if my life had been different, well who’s to know. I personally think, I would have made a fine wife, to a captain such as this. Goodness knows I’ve had the time to ponder it.

“Whenever, I am lucky enough, to witness an especially beautiful sunset, over the ocean.  I shall always think of the seventy three days, when I was privileged enough to have had shared them all with you.” I blushed again, I know I did. What wonderfully, poetic words coming from such a man and they were mine to keep. I smiled and put my hand to my heart, to show him, that what he had said to me, touched me.  He raised himself, slightly nodded, and, moved his attention to Ashley.