Told to leave

Told to leave

“Miss Payton?” Mary popped her head into the sitting room down stairs at the back of the house, where I had a dress laid out on the floor. I was trying to figure out what part of it, I wanted to keep. This particular room of the manor had large windows, and was warmed by the light coming through, and not used when guests came. It was good for the task I was attempting.

“Yes Mary?” I looked up at her from my position on the floor.

“Lady Townshend would like to see you in the study. Lord William and Ashley are already there waiting for you.” I wondered where Ashley went. Now I knew.

“Oh,” I stood up. “Well I best be going to them then.”  With that, I got up and started toward the study. I had no idea what could be going on, but it must be serious if we had all been summoned by Lady Townshend.

When I entered the Study, I took in the scene before me. Lady Townshend was sitting behind the big desk. Ashley was sitting on a chaise, near the cold hearth. And William was standing by the same window, which Ashley and I once hid behind as children, to eves drop on adult conversations.  I walked over to stand within a reasonable place, between everyone. “So whats this all about.” I said looking at them all in turn.

“Would you take a seat please Payton?” Lady Townshend said as she got up, and came around to stand in front of the desk. I went to sit near Ashley, and mouthed ‘what’s wrong?’ she just shrugged her shoulders. Well that made me feel better; at least I wasn’t the only one in the dark.  “Ashley, Payton.” Lady Townshend started, then let out a sigh, and looked to her feet. It seemed as though she didn’t know where to start. “I’ve had word from Lord Townshend.”

Ah, I thought. This would be interesting. Lord Townshend had made it a habit, of traveling back and forth from Sydney to England every two years, since Ashley and I were twelve. That’s where he was right now. He didn’t go away because he liked to, on the contrary. Lord and Lady Townshend were very much in love, and certainly didn’t like being apart. But he had a flourishing shipping Business happening, from one port to the other, whether it, be paying passengers, goods, or both. He had to make the journey at least as often as he did. He would always bring word of Pa and Nash back for me, and of course, Charlie. But he was always a little vague. He was quite elusive toward me, not quite knowing what to say when speaking casually to me. Lord Townshend was a bit like that with his own children, so it didn't overly bother me. Although, i knew he loved me. It was a strange relationship i had with him. I looked at Ash, and then to Lady Townshend.

“He wishes for us all, to join him. He will not be coming home this year, as he has already arranged for us to go to him.” Lady Townshend and I locked eyes. I had a feeling that this had been mentioned to Lady Townshend before. Otherwise, she has had time to dwell on this.

“Oh, how exciting.” I felt Ashley pull on my arm, and then lightly clap her hands. “Isn’t it Payton, Oh we’ll get to see Father and Mr Martin…” Ashley looked at me, and stopped talking, as she saw the look on my face. I wasn't sure what she was seeing, because i wasn't sure how i felt. Was I portraying a look that was so bad? It must have been a little alarming, for Ash to stop mid sentence.

“Oh-Is that all, we are all just going to go and meet him?” I asked, not too politely.

“Yes Payton. It’s all arranged. We leave in a week, we want to catch the good weather at this end. As we get closer to Australia, im told it gets warmer.”

“So we don’t have a choice, we just have to go? Even Will? Does he Have to go?” Silence, I took that as my answer. “Right then, I’ll stay here with him.” I heard Will let out a long breath from over by the window.