I Didn't Know

I Didn’t Know

I finished making myself presentable for dinner. Then I made my way down to the dining room, where I knew everyone would now be. I was late, there was no way around that. Lady Townshend knew where I was, she would have known, I would be delayed. I stopped just before the doors that led to the dining room, in front of a small side table standing against the wall, which had a mirror hanging above it. I looked at my reflection. And tried once more, to tuck away some of my wispy strays of brown, slightly wavy hair. I decided to leave it down tonight, with only the sides pulled back. As, I didn’t actually have much time for an elaborate up do. Again Lady Townshend would just have to understand. I wore a simple dress, no prints, and no lace. Actually I insisted that all my dresses, were of a simple design. The top of the bodice was modestly cut. Although I wasn’t extremely well endowed in the bosom area, I liked the way the dress fit me there. From under my bust the body of the dress fell to my feet, in a cascade of soft rose fabric. The style, was actually much the same as my day dresses, except this was made from silk, with a little more material. The dress was among only a few extravagances I let Ashley, and Lady Townshend indulge me in.  I only wore them when I thought it was time to appease Lady Townshend. Like tonight, indulging her attempts at match making, while wearing silk. And for my minor effort, I would either be, let alone for a while, or allowed to be absent at the next “dinner party” with gentlemen guests.

I ran my hands once more down the front of my dress, took a deep breath, and walked through the doors. The murmur of people talking stopped, as, I entered the room. I peered over at Ashley who started beaming at my appearance, and gave her a slight nod. “I’m sorry I’m late Lady Townshend I had the hardest time deciding what to do with my hair.” I heard a few light chuckles, no doubt from Will and Ashley. I reached up and touched the back of my hair for emphasis.

“Not to worry Payton, you’re here now.” Lady Townshend said, directing me towards a chair next to Will, with her hand. True to his word, Will had saved me a spot next to him. Lady Townshend and Will sat at opposite ends from each other at the table. Ashley sat to her mother’s right, and me, at Wills. Then Lord Eastly, as, I remember him was seated to my right, and Lord Golding to Ashleys. I turned my attention to Will who looked over my attire, with a smirk on his face.  I knew he knew me well enough to know the inspiration of my wearing the rose coloured, silk dress I didn’t like, at such an interment gathering. I gave him a bright smile and took my seat so that the gentlemen could sit back down. Will chuckled and shook his head slightly at me.

“So William, I was wondering.” Said Lord Eastly. “How is it that you have two of the loveliest ladies in England, living in your house and you hide one in the kitchens.” I looked to Lord Eastly, and he gave me a smile that made the dimple in his right cheek transform his face from a man to a roguish, looking boy/man. It was going to be an interesting night. And, if I were in the market for a husband, this man would be a pleasant front runner, purely because if that dimple.

“Well I’ve tried everything to keep her out of the kitchen. But, I gave up because it threatened my manly physiche, with all her bribes of sweet bread every time I told her to stay out.” I Looked to Will, and he winked at me. The cheeky man, I smiled at him.  And with that said we started our meal.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I woke up the next morning with the birds, like I have my whole life, despite the late hour of my retiring to bed. Dinner was enjoyable, and the company was delightful. Lord Eastly indulged my fondness for my genre of books. He even suggested that I looked into an Author named Jane Austin. I had seen her works on the shelf of the exchange before, but I always looked it over. Maybe, it was time I took my head out of my fancies for the high seas and adventure. And started reading something more for my age.