Chapter 8 || A Kiss Too Far

8
________________________

   Natasha grabbed the sheets, hoping to feel James's warm skin under her hand.  All she felt was a depression in the bed where he laid.  She looked left and right, seeing their clothes and underwear scattered across the floor.  She then noticed James's silhouette in the window, the bluish glow from the moon painting lines along his muscular body.  She frowned and took the sheet off the bed to stay warm as the cool air in the room kissed her bare skin.

"Do you ever sleep?" Natasha asked, covering herself with the soft covers of the bed, and getting up from it. 

"Not a lot, no. Too much rattling in my head lately," he responded, glancing at her exposed curves, illuminated by the moonlight.

She smirked and walked towards him, placing a warm hand on his bare shoulder. "What's bothering you, James?"

He clenched his jaw and continued to look out into the dark forest behind the facility. "I'm torn, Natalia. I don't know where to go."

She took a step closer, looking directly into his eyes. "What's causing this?"

"I'm done with questions, Natalia. Just go back to bed. I'll be there."

"No, you won't," she insisted as she huffed in frustration. "You're going to sneak out of here and tip toe your way to your own room because you don't want anyone knowing about this."

"What's this?"

She looked at him, taken aback. Almost offended. "James, we're this. We're...we're-"

"What are we Natalia, really? You're right, you know? I'm going to go back to my room. I can't...do this. Not now," he said sincerely. "Do you know what it feels like to have your heart belong to two people? You can't give everyone an equal amount. That's what's going on, okay? I'm torn in half and one of those halves belongs to you!"

"James..."

He rushed past her as tears hung at the brink of her eyes. "James, please. Talk to me, at least."

He turned to her with an unreadable expression. "Where does the other half lie?" She asked, referring to his divided love. "Is it still Dolly? James, she's an old woman now."

"Don't you mention her!" He growled, charging at her with a pointed finger.

"Clearly you're in love with someone else. I think I deserve to know who."

"Yeah and why?"

It felt like she had been stabbed in the heart. His words were like ice. "Don't you know?"

"Know what, Natalia?"

"I still..."

"What?!" He shouted as tears streamed down her face.

"I love you," she whispered as if she didn't want him to hear.

His jaw clenched and he knew the truth. He knew her feelings. "I love too, trust me. But...someone else has taken my heart and I don't know what the hell to do!"

"Well could at least tell me who? Could you tell me that, James?"

"Why does it matter?" He asked coldly.

"I mean, is it someone I know? Is it a complete stranger to me?"

"I can't afford to break your heart. I don't want to cause you anymore pain."

"Then tell me, please. That's all I want from you."

"Natalia, I'm telling you right now, if I tell you who else I love, your heart will break and I can't let that happen."